Born minutes after launch, baby girl in Jharkhand becomes first beneficiary of Ayushman Bharat scheme

The Centre will contribute 60 percent to the Ayushman Bharat scheme, while the states will contribute the remaining 40 percent.

Press Trust of India September 24, 2018 15:39:22 IST
Born minutes after launch, baby girl in Jharkhand becomes first beneficiary of Ayushman Bharat scheme

Jamshedpur: Punam Mahato has become the first beneficiary of the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) in Jharkhand after giving birth to a baby girl at a hospital in Jamshedpur, minutes after the scheme was rolled out by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Ranchi.

Born minutes after launch baby girl in Jharkhand becomes first beneficiary of Ayushman Bharat scheme

Representation Image. Reuters

The baby was delivered by caesarian section at 1.10 pm on Sunday at the Sadar Hospital in East Singbhum district. The PMJAY, stated to be the World's largest government-funded healthcare scheme, aims to provide a coverage of Rs 5 lakh per family annually, to more than 10.74 crore poor families across the country.

The Centre will contribute 60 percent to the Ayushman Bharat scheme, while the states will contribute the remaining 40 percent.

24-year-old Mahato, a resident of Basurda village under Gamariah Police Station of adjoining Seraikela-Kharswan district, was admitted to the hospital on Sunday morning.

East Singhbhum district civil surgeon, Dr Maheshwar Prasad said, her entire medical expenses would be borne as part of the scheme. The hospital has provided all the services, including food, medicines, consultation and pathological test, free of cost to the patient.

The expense for the delivery was Rs 18,500, the civil surgeon said. As the baby was born through caesarian section, the mother and the baby will be kept under observation in the hospital for a week. They are in sound health, he added.

Updated Date:

also read

'Humbled by affection on birthday': PM Modi thanks people for their greetings and wishes
India

'Humbled by affection on birthday': PM Modi thanks people for their greetings and wishes

The prime minister turned 72 on Saturday and marked his birthday by addressing four events covering fields as diverse as wildlife and the launch of logistics policy, as greetings poured in from leaders and other prominent personalities

PM Modi Birthday: Here's how he celebrated it since 2014
India

PM Modi Birthday: Here's how he celebrated it since 2014

Along with other commitments this year, PM Modi is slated to launch the National Logistics Policy and welcome eight cheetahs that are being brought from Namibia

PM Modi Birthday: Powerful and inspiring quotes by the popular leader
India

PM Modi Birthday: Powerful and inspiring quotes by the popular leader

Apart from his dedication towards work, PM Modi is also famous for his oratory skills. Part of his appeal lies in his ability to connect easily with people from different parts of India. PM Modi has remained popular for his speeches, be it in an election rally or in Parliament itself