Bilkis Bano gangrape case: SC grants six weeks time to Gujarat govt to apprise it on action taken against convicted cops
2002 Bilkis Bano gangrape case: SC granted six weeks time to the Gujarat govt for apprising it on whether any disciplinary action has been initiated against policemen convicted
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday granted six weeks time to the Gujarat government for apprising it on whether any disciplinary action has been initiated against policemen convicted in the 2002 Bilkis Bano gangrape case.
A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices AM Khanwilkar and DY Chandrachud, considered the submission of Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, representing the state government, that some more time be given to get instruction on the authorities concerned in the case.
The bench listed the plea for hearing in the first week of January.
The bench, however, made it clear that the separate plea, seeking enhancement of compensation to be awarded to Bilkis Bano, would be taken up next week for hearing.
The apex court had already granted time, on 23 October, to the state government to apprise it whether any departmental action had been initiated or taken against police officers whose conviction was upheld in the Bilkis Bano gangrape case.
The Bombay High Court had on 4 May upheld the conviction and life imprisonment of 12 people in the gangrape case, while setting aside the acquittal of seven people including policemen and doctors.
Bilkis Bano, who was gang-raped in March, 2002, while she was pregnant, lost seven of her family members in the aftermath of the Godhra train burning incident.
The bench had convicted seven persons, including five policemen and two doctors, for not performing their duties (sections 218) and tampering of evidence (section 201) under the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
The convicted policemen and doctors are Narpat Singh, Idris Abdul Saiyed, Bikabhai Patel, Ramsingh Bhabhor, Sombhai Gori, Arun Kumar Prasad (doctor) and Sangeeta Kumar Prasad (doctor).
A special court had on 21 January, 2008, convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment 11 men in the case.
They later approached the Bombay High Court challenging their conviction and sought for the trial court's order to be quashed.
The CBI had also filed an appeal in the high court seeking harsher punishment of death for three of the convicted on the grounds that they were the main perpetrators of the crime.
According to the prosecution, on 3 March, 2002, Bilkis Bano's family was attacked by a mob at Randhikpur village near Ahmedabad during the post-Godhra riots and seven members of her family were killed.
The trial in the case began in Ahmedabad. However, after Bilkis Bano expressed apprehensions that witnesses could be harmed and CBI evidence tampered, the Supreme Court transferred the case to Mumbai in August 2004.
The top court had taken suo motu cognisance and said it cannot allow the UP government "to hold 100 percent physical Kanwar Yatra in view of COVID"
A bench of justices DY Chandrachud and MR Shah said earlier in the day that his continued detention will be in violation of his fundamental right to life
Author Ashish Kaul files contempt petition against Kangana Ranaut days after Bombay HC refused Javed Akhtar's plea
Ashish Kaul alleged that Kangana Ranaut has concealed about her pending cases to the court in order to get her passport renewed.