Bhima Koregaon case: Justice S Ravindra Bhat becomes 5th judge to recuse himself from Gautam Navlakha's plea to quash FIR

Justice S Ravindra Bhat on Thursday became the fifth apex court judge to recuse himself from hearing a plea filed by civil rights activist Gautam Navlakha in the Koregaon Bhima violence case

Press Trust of India October 03, 2019 14:00:27 IST
Bhima Koregaon case: Justice S Ravindra Bhat becomes 5th judge to recuse himself from Gautam Navlakha's plea to quash FIR
  • Justice S Ravindra Bhat on Thursday became the fifth apex court judge to recuse himself from hearing a plea filed by civil rights activist Gautam Navlakha in the Koregaon Bhima violence case

  • On 30 September, Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi had recused himself from hearing Navlakha's plea

  • Earlier on 1 October, the three judges of a bench, justices N V Ramana, R Subhash Reddy and B R Gavai, had also recused themselves from hearing the matter

New Delhi: Justice S Ravindra Bhat on Thursday became the fifth apex court judge to recuse himself from hearing a plea filed by civil rights activist Gautam Navlakha, who has challenged the Bombay High Court order refusing to quash an FIR lodged against him in the Koregaon Bhima violence case.

On 30 September, Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi had recused himself from hearing Navlakha's plea.

Earlier on 1 October, the three judges of a bench — justices N V Ramana, R Subhash Reddy and B R Gavai — had also recused themselves from hearing the matter.
When the matter came up for hearing on Thursday before a bench comprising justices Arun Mishra, Vineet Saran and S Ravindra Bhat, justice Bhat recused himself from hearing the case.

When the bench was informed by Navlakha's counsel that the three-week protection given to him by the Bombay High Court was expiring on Friday, the bench said his petition would be heard by another bench tomorrow.

Bhima Koregaon case Justice S Ravindra Bhat becomes 5th judge to recuse himself from Gautam Navlakhas plea to quash FIR

File photo of Gautam Navlakha. PTI

The Maharashtra government had earlier filed a caveat in the matter seeking to be heard before any orders are passed. On 13 September, the high court had refused to quash the FIR lodged against him in the 2017 Koregaon-Bhima case and for having alleged Maoist links, noting that there was prima facie substance in the case.
The high court had said, "Considering the magnitude of the case, we feel a thorough investigation is required".

The high court had, however, extended the protection from arrest to Navlakha for a period of three weeks to enable him to approach the Supreme Court to file an appeal against its order.

The FIR was lodged against Navlakha and others by the Pune Police in January 2018 after the Elgar Parishad held on 31 December 2017 that had allegedly triggered violence at Koregaon Bhima in Pune district the next day.

The police has also alleged that Navlakha and other accused in the case had Maoist links and were working towards overthrowing the government. Navlakha and the other accused were booked under the provisions of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and the Indian Penal Code.

Besides Navlakha, four others — Varavara Rao, Arun Ferreira, Vernon Gonsalves and Sudha Bharadwaj, are accused in the case.

Updated Date:

also read

'Absolutely frivolous': Supreme Court dismisses plea seeking to delete 26 verses of Quran
India

'Absolutely frivolous': Supreme Court dismisses plea seeking to delete 26 verses of Quran

The apex court has also imposed costs of Rs 50,000 on the petitioner, which was filed by former UP Shia Waqf Board chairman Waseem Rizvi

SC dismisses plea against dismantling decommissioned aircraft carrier 'Viraat'
India

SC dismisses plea against dismantling decommissioned aircraft carrier 'Viraat'

In the proceedings conducted through video-conferencing, the bench refused to accept submissions of Rupali Sharma, representative of Envitech Marine, that this is a 'national treasury' and needed to be saved

COVID-19 cases surge: Centre flags gaps in containment measures of three states, bans Remdesivir exports
India

COVID-19 cases surge: Centre flags gaps in containment measures of three states, bans Remdesivir exports

Speaking after an all-party meeting held virtually to discuss the COVID-19 situation in Maharashtra on Sunday, state health minister Rajesh Tope said an appropriate decision regarding imposing a lockdown in Maharashtra will be taken after 14 April