Bengaluru violence: Karnataka HC to hear govt's plea for 'claim commissioner' to assess damage to public propertyon 25 Aug
The state govt is seeking the appointment of a judicial officer to recover losses from those who damaged public property during the 11 August violence in the city
Bengaluru: The Karnataka High Court on Thursday ordered that the state government's petition for recovery of losses from those who damaged public property during the recent Bengaluru violence be tagged with another related pending plea.
It also said the petition would be listed for hearing on 25 August.
The state government had on Wednesday moved the high court seeking the appointment of a judicial officer as a claim commissioner to recover losses from those who damaged public property during the violence that broke out in the city on the night of 11 August over an inflammatory social media post.
When the matter came up for hearing on Thursday, the first Bench of Chief Justice Abhay Shreeniwas Oka and Justice Ashok S Kinagi noted that there was another matter with similar prayers which also has to be heard and passed orders accordingly.
The Bench sought to know whether there was any specific recommendation for the judicial officer. In response, the government said there was no such recommendation.
The court then said it would appoint a judicial officer.
Three people were killed in police firing, while the fourth one succumbed to injuries in the hospital, to contain violence targeting Congress MLA R Akhanda Srinivasa Murthy over a social media post put up by the legislator's relative.
The rioters had also torched two police stations and some vehicles.
Around 300 people have been arrested so far in this connection.
The 78-year-old Lingayat strongman said this evening that he was yet to receive the 'message' from the party's Central leadership on whether he should continue in his post or quit
'Appropriate decision once I get instructions', says BS Yediyurappa on possible exit as Karnataka CM
When asked whether a Dalit would be his successor, the 78-year-old said, 'The BJP high command shall decide on it. I am not the one to take any calls.'
I-League: Coach Richard Hood says Bengaluru United will tweak training for Qualifiers to factor in lack of match practice
The Qualifiers are scheduled to be held in Bengaluru in September and will see 10 teams vying for one available spot in the I-League.