Balasore gas leak: Seven detained, probe ordered after 100 workers fall sick at Odisha seafood processing plant

According to the police, the incident took place at around 9 pm when the gas leaked from the plant located at Panapana

Press Trust of India November 14, 2019 18:33:57 IST
Balasore gas leak: Seven detained, probe ordered after 100 workers fall sick at Odisha seafood processing plant
  • Seven persons were detained and a probe ordered on Thursday into the leak of harmful gas at a private seafood processing plant in Odisha's Balasore

  • The incident also left lover 100 people sick, officials said

  • According to the police, the incident took place at around 9 pm when the gas leaked from the plant located at Panapana

Balasore: Seven persons were detained and a probe ordered on Thursday into the leak of harmful gas at a private seafood processing plant in Odisha's Balasore district which left over 100 people sick, officials said.

Balasore gas leak Seven detained probe ordered after 100 workers fall sick at Odisha seafood processing plant

Representational image. Reuters

A case has been registered in Khantapada police station in connection with leakage of the harmful gas in the factory at Khantapada and a special forensic team sent to assist in the investigation, Director General of Police (DGP), BK Sharma said.

Seven officials of the plant have been detained for questioning. A six-member team of forensic experts has reached the spot as part of the investigation, he said. Around 100 people, mostly women, fell sick after toxic gas leaked from the prawn processing plant on Wednesday night.

The affected people were taken to the Khantapada primary health centre and most of them were later shifted to the district headquarters hospital here, an official said. District collector K Sudarsan Chakrabarty and SP B Jugalkishore who visited the plant and hospital said, the condition of all the affected people was stable and many of them have been discharged from the hospital after proper treatment.

IG of Police (Eastern Range), Diptesh Pattanayak, said, the factory has been sealed and inquiry into the incident has started to ascertain the circumstances that led to the mishap. State Labour Minister Susant Singh, who visited the hospital, the Labour Commissioner will investigate the incident and find out whether children were engaged in the factory.

"Stern action will be taken against those responsible for the accident," Singh said. It appears that the workers were taken ill due to chlorine gas, but things will be clear after a thorough investigation, the district collector said.

According to the police, the incident took place at around 9 pm when the gas leaked from the plant located at Panapana, mostly affecting workers of the factory who complained of breathing problems. Terming the incident as unfortunate, owner of the private seafood processing unit, Tara Patnaik said, he was praying for the speedy recovery of those affected.

Patnaik claimed that there was no gas leak from the plant and the incident happened due to bleaching materials stored in the factory for processing.

Updated Date:

also read

Cyclone Asani impact: Thousands of Olive Ridley turtle eggs perish in Ganjam
India

Cyclone Asani impact: Thousands of Olive Ridley turtle eggs perish in Ganjam

The erosion in the land mass at the river mouth due to Cyclone Asani near Podampeta has damaged around 15 to 20 per cent of the record 5.5 lakh eggs laid by the sea turtles in the five km-long nesting site from 28 March to 4 April, said a senior forest department official

Asani intensifies into severe cyclonic storm, Odisha, Bengal on alert
India

Asani intensifies into severe cyclonic storm, Odisha, Bengal on alert

Stating that the system will not make landfall either in Odisha or Andhra Pradesh, IMD DG Mrutunjay Mohaptra said the cyclone will move parallel to the east coast and cause rainfall from Tuesday evening

64 school students test COVID- 19 positive in Odisha's Raygada
Health

64 school students test COVID- 19 positive in Odisha's Raygada

Forty-four residents of Anwesha Hostel at Kotlaguda were found to be positive for COVID-19