Aarushi murder case: Hemraj's family may move Supreme Court against Talwars' acquittal, demand compensation

Unhappy with the acquittal of Nupur and Rajesh Talwar for the double murder of Aarushi and Hemraj, the latter's family members have said they might move the Supreme Court. The Allahabad High Court had acquitted the Talwar couple last week, bringing to an end their four-year imprisonment.

Aarushi murder case: Hemrajs family may move Supreme Court against Talwars acquittal, demand compensation

File image of Hemraj and Aarushi

But Hemraj's family wants to appeal against the verdict in the Supreme Court, said a report in The Quint.

Samir Singh, an employer for Hemraj's son-in-law, has been helping the family with the legal battle. He said they want to "put things behind them". "Hemraj’s son Pranjal was about the same age as Aarushi when the incident happened. The family never got to see Hemraj's body; the Ekta Samaj conducted the cremation. Hemraj’s family did not get the closure they need," he was quoted as saying in the report.

He added that the family is very emphatic that Hemraj died while working for the Talwars and they feel justice has been denied. The family is looking for compensation from the Talwars since Hemraj was not paid for three months," Singh added.

He has also arranged for a Supreme Court lawyer, who has agreed to fight the case pro-bono. "It is a fight for poor people. Hemraj's family never wanted the Talwars to go scot-free. We will continue the fight," advocate Naresh Yadav, who has been fighting on behalf of Hemraj's family, told Deccan Chronicle.

The Allahabad High Court overruled the trial court judgment in the twin murder case of Aarushi and Hemraj and acquitted the Talwar couple, saying no conviction can stand on the basis of mere suspicion. The judges said that the CBI failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the Talwars are guilty. "The chain of evidence they have showcased is inconclusive," it said.

Fourteen-year-old Aarushi was found dead at the Talwars' Noida residence in May 2008. The needle of suspicion had initially pointed at 45-year-old Hemraj, who had gone missing, but his body was recovered from the terrace of the house two days later.

Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.

Updated Date: Oct 20, 2017 13:42:38 IST

Also See