2008 Malegaon blast case: No bail for prime accused Prasad Purohit
The special court for NIA cases here on Monday rejected the bail application of Lt Col Prasad Purohit, a prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.
Mumbai: The special court for NIA cases here on Monday rejected the bail application of Lt Col Prasad Purohit, a prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.
The order was passed by Special Judge SD Tekale. Purohit had sought the bail contending that National Investigation Agency (NIA) had dropped the charges under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) in the case, and that the sanction for prosecution obtained under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act was defective.
He had not played any role in the blast, Purohit had said, adding that he was in jail for the last seven years without trial.
However, the NIA had objected to his bail plea. His arguments should be taken into consideration during the trial and not at this stage, the prosecution had said.
Prima facie there was enough evidence against Purohit, it had said.
Twelve persons, including Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and Purohit, were arrested for the blast at Malegaon town in Maharashtra on 29 September, 2008, in which six persons died and 100 were injured.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
The NIA said Para had been arrested in connection with the Naveed Babu-Davinder Singh case for supporting the Hizbul Mujahideen in a conspiracy
Farmers' protest: SAD accuses Centre of using NIA, ED to 'threaten, intimidate' protesting union leaders
Party chief Sukhbir Singh Badal also said that Centre was being 'insincere' in talks over the farm laws and that it is 'trying to tire the farmers' out