1984 anti-Sikh riots: Supreme Court extends deadline for SIT by two more months to complete probe into 186 cases
The Supreme Court on Friday granted two more months to the special investigation team to complete its probe into 186 cases of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
The Supreme Court on Friday granted two more months to the special investigation team to complete its probe into 186 cases of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots
A bench comprising Justices SA Bobde and S Abdul Nazeer extended the time after the SIT informed it that more than 50 percent of the work has been done and it wanted two more months to complete the investigation
The apex court had on 11 January last year constituted the SIT headed by former Delhi High Court judge Justice SN Dhingra
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday granted two more months to the special investigation team to complete its probe into 186 cases of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
A bench comprising Justices SA Bobde and S Abdul Nazeer extended the time after the SIT informed it that more than 50 percent of the work has been done and it wanted two more months to complete the investigation.
The apex court also issued notice to parties on a plea by petitioner S Gurlad Singh Kahlon, a member of the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee, seeking inquiry into role of 62 policemen named in the riots.
The apex court had on 11 January last year constituted the SIT headed by former Delhi High Court judge Justice SN Dhingra and comprising retired IPS officer Rajdeep Singh and serving IPS officer Abhishek Dular to supervise further probe into the 186 riots cases, in which closure reports had been filed earlier.
However, the SIT presently has only two members as Singh had declined to be a part of the team on "personal grounds". The top court had appointed the three-member SIT after the Ministry of Home Affairs and counsel for petitioner SGS Kahlon arrived at a consensus with regard to the persons who could be appointed in the fresh SIT.
Large-scale riots had broken out in the national capital following the assassination of the then prime minister Indira Gandhi by her two Sikh security guards on 31 October, 1984. The violence had claimed 2,733 lives in Delhi alone.
The court had said the previous SIT did not carry out further probe into the 186 cases and had directed setting up of a fresh SIT comprising a former high court judge and two police officers. Justice Dhingra, who had retired from the Delhi High Court, had dealt with several high-profile cases including the 2001 Parliament Attack case as a trial judge.
As the judge of the trial court, he had dealt with many of the 1984 riot cases, and his verdicts had resulted in conviction in 16 cases. On 16 August, 2017, the apex court had appointed a supervisory panel to examine the earlier SIT's decision to close 241 cases.
The Centre had said that out of 250 riots cases which were probed by that SIT, closure reports were filed in 241. It had said some cases were still being investigated by the SIT, and two by the CBI.
The earlier SIT was headed by Pramod Asthana, an IPS officer of 1986 batch, and comprised retired district and sessions judge Rakesh Kapoor and additional deputy commissioner of the Delhi Police Kumar Gyanesh. Kahlon had told the court that a total of 293 riot-related cases were taken up for scrutiny by the earlier SIT which later decided to close 199 of them.
Kahlon had sought the top court's direction for setting up another SIT to ensure speedy justice to the riot victims
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Coronavirus Updates: Bengal extends suspension of flights to Kolkata from Mumbai, five other COVID-19-affected cities till 15 Aug
Coronavirus LIVE Updates: The Bihar government's announcement of 'additional restrictions' came a day after the state government dismissed reports that said that the lockdown had been extended in the state as 'fake'.
Two groups are not pleased with the new National Education Policy (NEP): The Communists and the Islamists.
Tamil Nadu govt extends lockdown till 31 Aug, allows Chennai eateries to begin dine-in services at 50% capacity
The chief minister also extended the shutdown imposed on Sundays, saying intense curbs will be in place on 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 August as well