CSA said in a statement that a joint decision had been taken with the BCCI to bar spectators from the grounds due to the massive surge in coronavirus infections in South Africa.
Johannesburg: No tickets will be sold to the general public for the forthcoming Test and ODI series between South Africa and India because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced on Monday.
CSA said in a statement that a joint decision had been taken with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to bar spectators from the grounds in order to prevent any possible breaches of the bio-secure environment in which the matches will be played.
The first of three Tests starts in Centurion on Sunday. They will be followed by three one-day internationals.
The statement cited the increasing number of Covid-19 cases around the world and the current fourth wave of infections in South Africa for the decision.
Tickets for the upcoming #SAvIND tour will not be made available after both cricket bodies took a joint decision to protect the players and the tour 😢
The matches will be broadcast live on SuperSport and SABC 📺
Full details ➡️ https://t.co/iTa8p4hRQf pic.twitter.com/VFBf2HYyNo
— Cricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) December 20, 2021
"This decision was taken in order to avoid any breaches that could compromise the tour from a Covid-risk perspective and to also maintain a hazard-free bubble environment."
The statement did not mention whether there had been consultations with the South African government. Current regulations allow outdoor gatherings of 2,000 people.
South Africa, where the highly mutated Omicron variant was first detected last month, is Africa's worst-hit country according to official tallies of virus cases, with more than 3.3 million infections logged and more than 90,000 deaths.
CSA Acting chief executive Pholetsi Moseki said: "This decision was not taken lightly but was instead taken in the best interest of the game and in the interest of the health and safety of all patrons."
CSA informed media outlets last week that limited access to the grounds will be granted to fully-vaccinated journalists.
The matches will be broadcast on both subscription and free-to-air television channels.
Earlier on Monday, CSA announced that a Mzansi Super League Twenty20 tournament, planned for February, had been cancelled due to increased travel restrictions caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
The tournament, originally planned as South Africa’s equivalent of the Indian Premier League and Australia’s Big Bash League, was also cancelled because of Covid last season after only two editions.
Read all the Latest News, Trending News, Cricket News, Bollywood News,
India News and Entertainment News here. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Sri Lanka reached 113-2 in their second innings at stumps on day three but still trailed by 303 runs at Wellington's Basin Reserve
Parliament's Committee of Privileges, which has been looking into statements Johnson made to parliament in December 2021, said last week the former leader would also provide oral evidence to the committee in a televised session on March 22.
Beijing's population decline was in line with national trends, with China's population falling last year for the first time in six decades