Priyadarshan says Ayushmann Khurrana, Kartik Aaryan turned down Hungama 2: 'Maybe they thought I'm an outdated director'

Priyadarshan, who directed Hungama, revealed that he approached actors like Ayushmann Khurrana and Kartik Aaryan for the sequel to the film.

Press Trust of India April 28, 2020 12:47:20 IST
Priyadarshan says Ayushmann Khurrana, Kartik Aaryan turned down Hungama 2: 'Maybe they thought I'm an outdated director'

Veteran filmmaker Priyadarshan says he had initially approached big names like Ayushmann Khurrana and Kartik Aaryan for the sequel of his 2003 comedy Hungama, but none of them showed interest in the project.

The National Award-winning filmmaker, who roped in one-film-old Meezaan Jaffery to star in Hungama 2, believes popular stars must have thought he is an outdated director.

Priyadarshan says Ayushmann Khurrana Kartik Aaryan turned down Hungama 2 Maybe they thought Im an outdated director

Director Priyadarshan. Ibnlive image

"I didn’t go directly to meet them but my concept was narrated to a lot of actors like Ayushmann Khurrana, Kartik Aaryan and Siddharth Malhotra. They all refused to do the film (Hungama 2). Now, I am working with Meezaan. They all refused because maybe they thought I am an outdated director, because I was out of the Hindi film industry for five years," Priyadarshan told Press Trust of India.

In a career spanning over three decades, Priyadarshan has directed more than 95 films in various Indian languages, including Malayalam, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu.

He is best known for his films in the south such as Kanchivaram, Kaalapani, Oppam, Thenmavin Kombath, whereas some of his most notable movies in Hindi include Virasat, Hera Pheri, Hungama, Hulchul, Chup Chup Ke and Bhool Bhulaiyaa, among others.

The director said he prefers working with actors who believe in his conviction.

"They seemed disinterested. They don’t tell it to you on your face. I don’t like to beg actors and (I) prefer to work with somebody who believes in me. Many times when you request an actor to do a film, they show respect to you, offer you coffee and nicely they will avoid you, because maybe they don’t trust you," he added.

Priyadarshan said he is happy with the way Hungama 2 has shaped up so far. He said both the original and sequel have a common theme - confusion.

"It is a film of total misunderstanding. The old film is about misunderstanding and confusion and same is the case with Hungama 2 but the story is different," he said.

The 2003 original film featured Paresh Rawal, Shoma Anand, Akshaye Khanna, Aftab Shivdasani and Rimi Sen in lead roles.

The second part features Paresh Rawal, alongside a new cast, which includes Meezaan, Shilpa Shetty and south actor Pranitha Subhash.

The director said he is happy to have collaborated with them for the film.

Priyardarshan said due to the coronavirus pandemic the shoot of the film has got affected.

"We had 12 more days of shoot left. We were to shoot in Kullu-Manali, there was one song and few scenes left. Almost 80 per cent of the film is complete. We could have finished the film by now if not for coronavirus . I enjoyed doing the film, I am happy with it. I hope when people see it, they like it too," he said.

Hungama 2, produced by Ratan Jain, is scheduled to be released in August.

Updated Date:

also read

Salman Khan's Radhe: Your Most Wanted Bhai gets U/A certificate ahead of Eid release
Entertainment

Salman Khan's Radhe: Your Most Wanted Bhai gets U/A certificate ahead of Eid release

Radhe: Your Most Wanted Bhai, releasing both in theatres and on Zee Plex on 13 May, features Khan as an encounter specialist who is tackling the drug menace in Mumbai.

Piercing through the radio silence of A-list Bollywood on coronavirus crisis are some murmurs of support
Entertainment

Piercing through the radio silence of A-list Bollywood on coronavirus crisis are some murmurs of support

Beyond the dominant silence from Bollywood, many celebrities are responding to the coronavirus crisis in their own ways: by donating money and oxygen cylinders, by amplifying SOS messages on social media, and by employing damage control after receiving flak for a vacation in the Maldives.

Yash Raj Films launches initiative to support film industry members, families amid COVID-19 second wave
Entertainment

Yash Raj Films launches initiative to support film industry members, families amid COVID-19 second wave

As part of the initiative, the foundation will offer Rs 5000 to the women and senior citizens of the industry as well as distribute ration kits to workers' families for a month through Youth Feed India.