Coronavirus Outbreak: Tenet, Christopher Nolan's thriller, delayed indefinitely by Warner Bros
Tenet has been shifted from 17 July, then 31 July, and now, 12 August
Christopher Nolan’s Tenet, which had hoped to herald Hollywood’s return to big theatrical releases, has yet again postponed its release due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Warner Bros said Monday that Tenet will not make its 12 August release date. Unlike previous delays, the studio this time didn’t announce a new target for the release of Nolan’s much-anticipated $200 million thriller.
Tenet had already shifted from 17 July, then 31 July, and then 12 August. Nolan, a staunch advocate for the big-screen experience, has strenuously hoped that Tenet could lead the resumption of nationwide and global moviegoing.
But the surge of the virus across much of the US has upended the industry’s aims for even a late-August return. Last week, California ordered its cinemas closed.
Warner Bros Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich said the studio will soon share a new “2020 release date” for Tenet. It may be a much different rollout, with the film opening in staggered international release.
“We are not treating Tenet like a traditional global day-and-date release, and our upcoming marketing and distribution plans will reflect that,” said Emmerich.
Emmerich said the pandemic’s spread has forced the studio to reevaluate its plans. Warner Bros also shifted the horror sequel The Conjuring 3 from 11 September to 4 June, 2021.
“Our goals throughout this process have been to ensure the highest odds of success for our films while also being ready to support our theater partners with new content as soon as they could safely reopen,” said Emmerich. “We’re grateful for the support we’ve received from exhibitors and remain steadfast in our commitment to the theatrical experience around the world.”
Other films have planned their releases partially around the launch of Tenet. Walt Disney Co’s Mulan remains scheduled for theatrical release on 21 August.
Movie theaters remain in a precarious limbo. Without new releases, US indoor theaters and drive-ins that are open have played mostly older films and a smattering of smaller new releases.
Before the recent spike in the coronavirus crisis, theater chains have sought to assure moviegoers with protocols like limiting theaters to 25-50% capacity and cleaning seats in between showings.
But months of closed theaters and no new product has put enormous pressure on an already stressed business. AMC Theaters, the world’s largest chain, recently reached a debt deal to help itself remain solvent.
AMC has been aiming to reopen most locations 30 July. Cineworld, which owns Regal Cinemas, had set 31 July for its reopening.
The pop star's dog walker, Ryan Fischer, was seriously wounded in the attack and addressed the court Monday to give an impact statement, which he posted on Instagram.
For all its shortcomings, Aisha is compelling in its migratory pitch. It tells of a refugee’s struggle with honesty and tenderness.
Jon Batiste will be adding White House entertainer to an already long list of roles, including recording artist, bandleader, musical director, film composer, museum creative director and scion of New Orleans musical royalty.