Madras High Court issues notices to Franklin Templeton Mutual Fund, SEBI: Investors group

Notices have been issued to crisis-hit Franklin Templeton Mutual Fund and Sebi by the Madras High Court after a petition was filed by an investors group to safeguard nearly Rs 28,000 crore of investors' money stuck in six schemes shut down by the fund house, according to a statement

Press Trust of India May 29, 2020 16:28:18 IST
Madras High Court issues notices to Franklin Templeton Mutual Fund, SEBI: Investors group

New Delhi: Notices have been issued to crisis-hit Franklin Templeton Mutual Fund and SEBI by the Madras High Court after a petition was filed by an investors group to safeguard nearly Rs 28,000 crore of investors' money stuck in six schemes shut down by the fund house, according to a statement.

The investors' group, Chennai Financial Markets and Accountability (CFMA), also said it is separately launching an online petition to bring together all affected investors and the same would be forwarded to the Prime Minister's Office as well as the US parent of the fund house and the US markets regulator SEC.

It further said mutual funds and fund managers should be made to answer questions on their choice of investment, and compliance with regulatory and prudential norms, among others.

Last month, Franklin Templeton had closed six debt funds, citing redemption pressures and lack of liquidity in the bond markets. Since then, capital market regulator SEBI has asked the fund house on multiple occasions to focus on repaying the investors at the earliest.

Click here to follow LIVE news and updates on stock markets

According to CFMA, the Madras High Court on issued notices on 26 May to SEBI, Franklin Templeton Asset Management India Pvt Ltd (FTAMC), trustees of the mutual fund, its President Sanjay Sapre, fixed income CIO Santosh Kamath and other key management personnel after a Public Interest Litigation was filed by it.

The high court took cognizance of the seriousness of the matter wherein the money of the common public, amounting to about Rs 28,000 crore, is at risk of getting wiped off and has asked SEBI to file a reply along with a status report on the actions taken by it, CFMA said in its statement.

As per the investors' group, Franklin Templeton MF in their own admission has stated that the recovery of money across six schemes will be in the range of 5-81 percent over a period of over 5 years.

"Given the fact that six schemes had Rs 28,000 crore of assets under management, the average loss to unitholders taking 20 percent as average realisation, would be around Rs 22,400 crore. This is the size of the hole in the pocket of common man where the principal amount is wiped off," it added.

Nithyaesh Natraj, the counsel for CFMA, said in the present difficult times, the unitholders which otherwise have the right to liquidate their holdings, will have to wait for over 5 years and by then FTAMC would have left the Indian shores.

"Presently, the unitholders are left in lurch and will not even be able to foot emergency medical bills, leave alone fulfilling their dreams for themselves and their family," he added.

Natraj alleged that the winding up of six schemes by FTAMC is just the tip of the iceberg and this default in India has been done by a mutual fund that was being considered among the best in the country with the pedigree of a US-based MNC.

To ensure that the fund managers do not run away and all efforts are made to recover the money of unitholders, the investors' group has also sought disclosure of their personal assets, injunction with regard to disposal of their assets and restraining them from resigning or travelling abroad until the entire amount is recovered.

Reacting to it, a Franklin Templeton spokesperson said in a statement, "We deny all allegations and wish to clarify that there has been no illegality, wrongdoing or misrepresentation.

"We continue to follow due process, both in making investment decisions and in the winding up of these schemes. We have acted in the best interest of our investors and in accordance with all regulations."

CFMA alleged that the mutual fund industry has been running a campaign 'Mutual Fund Sahi Hai' to "hypnotise" the common people and make them believe that the money invested in mutual funds was as safe as bank deposits.

It further said a small disclaimer at the end of the offer document, "investments in mutual funds are subject to market risk", does not absolve the mutual funds, their trustees, fund managers and key management personnel from charges of cheating, fraud, arbitrariness and imprudent investment decisions.

Earlier in a letter to investors, Sapre had said Franklin Templeton is committed to ensuring an orderly and equitable exit for all investors at the earliest possible time.

On Thursday, the fund house had said that the voting window for affected investors will be open for three days starting 9 June.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

SEBI comes out with operational framework for transactions in defaulted debt securities, to be implemented from 1 July onwards
Business

SEBI comes out with operational framework for transactions in defaulted debt securities, to be implemented from 1 July onwards

Markets regulator SEBI allowed transactions in defaulted debt securities and put in place operational framework for such transactions

'Bloodstains on lathis, no CCTV footage': P Jayaraj and Fenix thrashed all night by Sathankulam Police personnel, finds Judicial Magistrate’s report
India

'Bloodstains on lathis, no CCTV footage': P Jayaraj and Fenix thrashed all night by Sathankulam Police personnel, finds Judicial Magistrate’s report

Mentioning Head Constable Revathy's statement in a four-page report to the Madras High Court Madurai Bench, the Judicial Magistrate probing the deaths said she feared to receive threats if she revealed the facts. In her statement, Revathy told the JM that the two persons were 'beaten up the entire night by police personnel there (Sathankulam PS) using lathis.'

Madras High Court acquits man accused of killing Dalit son-in-law in 2016, sets aside death sentence of five others
India

Madras High Court acquits man accused of killing Dalit son-in-law in 2016, sets aside death sentence of five others

The Madras HC sentenced the five other accused to life imprisonment for a minimum of 25 years without any right to remission.