NDTV has responded on the recommendation by an inter-ministerial committee of the Information and Broadcasting Ministry that its Hindi channel NDTV India be taken off the air for a day after it concluded that the broadcaster had revealed "strategically-sensitive" details while covering the Pathankot terrorist attack.
In a statement released on its website, the news channel said that it was "shocking" to see the channel being singled out and recalled the "dark days of the emergency".
Here is the full statement released:
"The order of the MIB has been received. It is shocking that NDTV has been singled out in this manner. Every channel and newspaper had similar coverage. In fact NDTV's coverage was particularly balanced. After the dark days of the emergency when the press was fettered, it is extraordinary that NDTV is being proceeded against in this manner. NDTV is examining all options in this matter."
The ministry had asked NDTV India to be taken off air for a day on 9 November, sources told PTI on Thursday, in what would be the first order against a broadcaster over its coverage of terror attacks.
The matter pertains to the coverage of the Pathankot terror attack by the channel where the committee felt that "such crucial information" could have been readily picked by terrorist handlers and had the potential to "cause massive harm not only to the national security, but also to lives of civilians and defence personnel."
When the operation was on in January this year, it allegedly revealed information on the ammunition stockpiled in the airbase, MIGs, fighter-planes, rocket-launchers, mortars, helicopters, fuel-tanks etc "which was likely to be used by the terrorists or their handlers to cause massive harm," the sources said.
Official sources said that as the content appeared to be violative of the programming norms, a show cause notice was issued to the channel.
The committee, in its order, observed that the channel "appeared to give out the exact location of the remaining terrorists with regard to the sensitive assets in their vicinity" when they telecast in real time.
The panel expressed "grave concern" that this was a matter of national security and that the channel had revealed sensitive details like location of ammunition depot viz-a-viz the space where the terrorists were holed up, location of school and residential areas.
"Such crucial information could have been readily picked by their handlers, which had the potential to cause massive harm not only to the national security, but also to lives of civilians and defence personnel," the committee said, disagreeing with the channel's contention that similar content was carried by newspapers.
The television, as an audio-visual medium, has a far wider and instantaneous impact, the order said.
"The IMC recommends that at least a token penalty of one day's off-air needed to be awarded to the TV channel so that they do not get away completely for this huge indiscretion and violation of specific rule or guideline relating to national security concerns," the I and B ministry order in this regard says.
The committee has observed that the violation stood proven beyond doubt, the order said and added that it could even attract a penalty of taking the channel off-air for 30 days.
However, it was factored that a rule in this regard had been introduced in June 2015 and this was the first such case where it was being applied to and not make the penalty harsh, it is learnt.
"The ministry has issued advisories and sensitised channels regarding coverage of anti-terror operations. There have been oral warnings also. It is hoped that strategically sensitive details will not be revealed when such an operation is underway," a senior official said.
Published Date: Nov 04, 2016 08:07 am | Updated Date: Nov 04, 2016 08:07 am