New Delhi: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday allayed fears over possible renewal of quota agitation by Jats in Haryana and expressed confidence that a solution will be found soon.
Singh called up Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar and took stock of the situation.
"I have spoken to the Haryana Chief Minister. There is no need to worry about anything. I am sure a solution will be found soon," he told reporters on the sidelines of a function in New Delhi.
The Jats, who had issued a 72-hour ultimatum to the state government to address their demands by Thursday, said they would take a decision on the future course of action after holding meeting with Haryana Chief Secretary and Director General of Police today.
Bracing for the stir, the state government deployed paramilitary forces and police in sensitive districts and they carried out flag marches in various places to instil confidence among people in the state which witnessed widespread violence during the first phase of the agitation last month that left 30 people dead and caused extensive loss.
The Centre has sent 8,000 personnel of paramilitary forces to the state which are being deployed in sensitive areas like Rohtak and Jhajjar districts, which were the worst-affected during the first phase of the agitation last month.
Around 300 paramilitary personnel were also deployed at Munak canal, which supplies water to Delhi. It was badly damaged during the Jat agitation last month.
Prohibitory orders were today clamped and mobile internet services suspended at many places in Haryana as a precautionary measure.
Published Date: Mar 18, 2016 02:49 pm | Updated Date: Mar 18, 2016 02:49 pm