Sunday, November 29, 2015| Latest E-book
You are here:

Delhi gangrape accused wants 'proper diet' to prepare for Air Force exam

by Pallavi Polanki  Apr 2, 2013 08:42 IST

#Court   #Delhi gangrape   #NewsTracker   #Ram Singh  

One of the accused in the horrific 2012 Delhi gang rape accused Vinay Sharma today filed an application before the fast-track court  for a "proper diet" of "milk and fruit" to be given to him in jail. He has also requested for supply of a newspaper.

Filing the application, Sharma's lawyer AP Singh told the judge that his client should be given a good diet so that he can study well.

"It is question of his future," Singh told the judge.

The four accused are on trial for the brutal gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old woman. AFP

The four accused are on trial for the brutal gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old woman. AFP

In response to the application, the court directed the Tihar jail authorities to give their comments on the request by tomorrow.

Speaking to reporters outside the courtroom about the grounds for the application for a milk and fruit diet, Singh said that Vinay Sharma was preparing for the Indian Air Force Category C entrance test and needed a healthy diet to prepare well.

"He is preparing for the IAF entrance test which is on 7 April. He now also has two tutors who are coaching him in jail. After the entrance test, he will also have to take his BA exams. He needs a good diet so that he can study well," Singh said.

On 22 March, Sharma  applied for bail on the grounds that he should be allowed to pursue his studies. The bail plea has not yet come up for hearing before the court.

During today's hearing, the four accused were seated in the last row of the courtroom, each escorted by a policeman.

The four are on trial for the gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old student and attack on her friend on the night of December 16, 2012. The fifth accused, a juvenile, is being tried by the Juvenile Justice Board.

The main accused Ram Singh was found hanging in his prison cell in the high security Tihar jail on the morning 11 March. The proceedings against him were subsequently abated.