Westgate mall attack: Kenyan govt says bodies of 4 terrorists recovered
Joseph Ole Lenku, Cabinet secretary for interior, said that yesterday 'we recovered a fourth body, which we know from CCTV footage to be that of a terrorist.'
Nairobi: The Kenyan government says it believes it has recovered the remains of the four gunmen who stormed a shopping mall on 21 September and killed more than 60 people.
Joseph Ole Lenku, Cabinet secretary for interior, said that yesterday "we recovered a fourth body, which we know from CCTV footage to be that of a terrorist."
He said in his message late yesterday that officials believe the remains of three people recovered at the mall last week are also "those of the terror suspects." Closed-circuit TV footage from Westgate Mall shows four gunmen taking part in the attack.
Lenku said "DNA and other investigations will confirm their identities."
So far, one gunmen has been identified: Hassan Abdi Dhuhulow, a Somali-Norwegian.
American killed in Kenya hotel siege had survived 9/11 attack on World Trade Centre; Jason Spindler would have turned 41 on Monday
The American man who was among the 21 people killed in an attack at a hotel in Kenya capital Nairobi had survived the 9/11 attacks. Jason Spindler specialised in emerging economies.
The biggest challenge faced by the military forces while countering the terror attack in Nairobi's Westgate Mall was the lack of knowledge about either the number of gunmen present or where they were camping inside the mall, said Tyler Hicks, a photojournalist with The New York Times, who entered the mall with the security forces and documented the events unfolding inside for two hours.