US quietly offers bounties for Benghazi attackers

The announcement ends weeks of Obama administration silence on questions about whether it was using all available means to catch the attackers.

hidden November 16, 2013 03:30:33 IST
US quietly offers bounties for Benghazi attackers

Washington: The State Department said Friday that it has been quietly offering rewards since January of up to $10 million for information leading to the arrest or conviction of any person involved in last year's attack on a US diplomatic compound in Libya.

The announcement ends weeks of Obama administration silence on questions about whether it was using all available means to catch the attackers.

In a letter sent to lawmakers on Friday, the department said the rewards were not publicized on its "Rewards for Justice" website as is normally done because of security issues around the investigation into the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the mission in Benghazi that killed US Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

US quietly offers bounties for Benghazi attackers

A file photo of Libyan militia. The US has quietly been offering rewards for information on the attack of its diplomatic compound in Benghazi. AP

"Due to security issues and sensitivities surrounding the investigation, the event-specific reward offer has not been publicly advertised on the RFJ website," the department said in a statement. "RFJ tools can be utilized in a variety of ways, without publicizing them on the website."

A State Department official familiar with the letter sent to Rep. Michael McCaul, a Republican, by Assistant Secretary of State for Legislative Affairs Julia Frifield acknowledged that it is unusual not to publicize offers of rewards, but said investigators have other ways of making sure the information is known "as needed." In the course of the probe, investigators have made it known to individuals that cash is available for those coming forward with actionable information.

The official said the rewards have been in place since Jan. 7, while Hillary Rodham Clinton was still secretary of state. The official was not authorized to speak publicly about the private correspondence and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Lawmakers had complained the department was not using everything at its disposal to catch the perpetrators. McCaul, chairman of the House Homeland Security committee, had been the lead author of an Oct. 30 letter to Secretary of State John Kerry asking why rewards were not being offered for the Benghazi attackers. Eighty-two other lawmakers signed that letter.

The State Department had previously ducked questions about whether rewards for the Benghazi attackers had been offered, citing concerns about identifying possible suspects. The refusal to discuss the issue had led to criticism from many, mostly conservative, lawmakers who believe that the administration has badly mishandled Benghazi and may have even attempted to cover up key details about the attack that occurred on the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the United States.

AP

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

US Election 2020: Time running out on Donald Trump's efforts to ensure return to power as early voting nears
World

US Election 2020: Time running out on Donald Trump's efforts to ensure return to power as early voting nears

Aides are increasingly worried that the campaign may already be defined as a referendum on the beleaguered yet defiant president's handling of COVID-19

United States Tennis Association says US Open preparations still on despite spike in COVID-19 cases
Sports

United States Tennis Association says US Open preparations still on despite spike in COVID-19 cases

The US Open — usually the year’s last Grand Slam tournament, but the second of 2020 because of the pandemic — is scheduled to run 31 August to 13 September.

Donald Trump faces rare rebuke from Republican leaders for proposing delay in 2020 presidential polls
World

Donald Trump faces rare rebuke from Republican leaders for proposing delay in 2020 presidential polls

The top Republicans in the House and Senate, who have spent the past four years championing Trump in Congress, also distanced themselves from the notion of a delayed election