US defence official confirms withdrawal of American equipment from Syria, does not specify nature of cargo, mode of transportation

Washington: The US military has removed some equipment from Syria, a defence official confirmed Thursday, following a report that the drawdown ordered by President Donald Trump is underway.

File image of US troops in Syria. Reuters

File image of US troops in Syria. Reuters

"I can confirm the movement of equipment from Syria," the official told AFP. "For security reasons, I am not going to provide further details at this time."

Trump's shock announcement on 19 December that he was withdrawing all 2,000 American troops from the conflict-wracked West Asian country concerned allies and prompted the resignation of his then defence chief Jim Mattis.

Since then, however, administration officials appear to have walked back considerably and the current envisaged timetable is unclear.

The removal of the equipment in recent days was first reported by CNN, which quoted an administration official with direct knowledge of the operation as saying it signalled the beginning of US withdrawal from the West Asian country. The official quoted by CNN, however, did not describe exactly what the cargo was or how it was being transported.

They also did not say what part of Syria it came from, though it is expected the drawdown would begin in the country's north.

The CNN report added that officials it had previously spoken to, said the Pentagon wants to signal to the president it is working towards his goals following his withdrawal decision in December 2018.

Though the removal of troops is not on the cards immediately, withdrawing equipment is a means of showing progress towards this goal, it added.

On Sunday, National Security Adviser John Bolton set out stringent conditions for the proposed withdrawal, saying the defence of allies must first be assured. "We're going to be discussing the president's decision to withdraw, but to do so from northeast Syria in a way that makes sure that the Islamic State

is defeated and is not able to revive itself and become a threat again," Bolton said when meeting Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem.

Speaking in Egypt on Thursday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo stressed the troop pullout from Syria would go ahead as he urged West Asian nations to forge a common stand against Tehran.

Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.

Updated Date: Jan 11, 2019 10:37:05 IST

Also See