United States to send reinforcements to Gulf following drone attack on Saudi oil facilities

Defence Secretary Mark Esper has said that the United States will send reinforcements to the Gulf region at the request of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, following attacks on Saudi oil facilities which it blames on Iran

Agence France-Presse September 21, 2019 13:50:03 IST
United States to send reinforcements to Gulf following drone attack on Saudi oil facilities
  • Defence Secretary Mark Esper has said that the United States will send reinforcements to the Gulf region at the request of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, following attacks on Saudi oil facilities which it blames on Iran

  • The Pentagon chief said on Friday that an Iranian attack on an American spy drone in June after Tehran seized a British oil tanker, combined with the attack on two Saudi oil installations last Saturday 'represents a dramatic escalation of Iranian aggression'

  • 'To prevent further escalation, Saudi Arabia requested international support to help protect the kingdom's critical infrastructure. The United Arab Emirates has also requested assistance,' he said

Washington: Defence Secretary Mark Esper has said that the United States will send reinforcements to the Gulf region at the request of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, following attacks on Saudi oil facilities which it blames on Iran.

United States to send reinforcements to Gulf following drone attack on Saudi oil facilities

File image of US defence secretary Mark Esper. AP

The Pentagon chief said on Friday that an Iranian attack on an American spy drone in June after Tehran seized a British oil tanker, combined with the attack on two Saudi oil installations last Saturday "represents a dramatic escalation of Iranian aggression."

"To prevent further escalation, Saudi Arabia requested international support to help protect the kingdom’s critical infrastructure. The United Arab Emirates has also requested assistance," he said.

"In response to the kingdom’s request, the president has approved the deployment of US forces, which will be defensive in nature, and primarily focused on air and missile defence," Esper said. The deployment to the region would be "moderate," Joint Chiefs of Staff Joe Dunford said, but did not specify the type of equipment or exact number of reinforcements, except that it would be fewer than "thousands of troops."

Updated Date:

also read

Cinema stars descend on Saudi Arabia's first Red Sea International Film Festival
Photos

Cinema stars descend on Saudi Arabia's first Red Sea International Film Festival

Check out photos of celebrities who will be gracing the Saudi Arabia's first Red Sea International Film Festival from 6 to 15 December.

Formula 1: Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton says 'not comfortable' with racing in Saudi Arabia
Sports

Formula 1: Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton says 'not comfortable' with racing in Saudi Arabia

Hamilton aired his views in a news conference in Jeddah where the penultimate race of the 2021 Formula One season takes place on Sunday.

Saudis detect first case of new coronavirus variant Omicron in citizen from 'North African country'
World

Saudis detect first case of new coronavirus variant Omicron in citizen from 'North African country'

The report said the infected individual and his close contacts had been quarantined. The case marks the first-known instance of omicron being detected among Gulf Arab nations