UK temperatures set to test all-time record as heatwave continues

LONDON (Reuters) - Britons sweltered in a prolonged heatwave on Thursday, with temperatures hitting a year high and set to test national records on Friday, the Meteorological Office said. The temperature reached 34.9 degrees Celsius at Heathrow Airport, officially making it the hottest day of the year so far, the Met Office said. It forecast a 20-30 percent chance of Britain seeing an all-time highest temperature this week and a 70 percent chance of a record high for July.

Reuters July 27, 2018 04:07:01 IST
UK temperatures set to test all-time record as heatwave continues

UK temperatures set to test alltime record as heatwave continues

LONDON (Reuters) - Britons sweltered in a prolonged heatwave on Thursday, with temperatures hitting a year high and set to test national records on Friday, the Meteorological Office said.

The temperature reached 34.9 degrees Celsius at Heathrow Airport, officially making it the hottest day of the year so far, the Met Office said.

It forecast a 20-30 percent chance of Britain seeing an all-time highest temperature this week and a 70 percent chance of a record high for July.

The all-time British record is 38.5C set in August 2003 near Faversham in Kent, southeast England, while the highest July temperature was 36.7C in 2015 at Heathrow airport.

"There is greater potential for both the July and the other (all-time) record to go tomorrow," said a Met Office spokesman noting that the highest temperatures are expected in the southeast - in Kent, Essex, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire.

"It’s going to depend on the development of thunderstorms ... If the thunderstorms develop early that’s going to prevent some of the heat from the sun getting to the ground which will curb the rise of temperatures," he said.

Britain's heatwave has turned green grass brown, triggered an impending hose pipe ban in the northwest of England, and prompted a warning from the government for people to keep out of the sun. Farmers have also warned of possible food shortages later this year.

On Thursday the EuroTunnel Le Shuttle operation warned passengers heading for the Continent at its Folkestone terminal to expect four-hour delays to booked times, blaming restricted shuttle capacity. It said the extreme heat was affecting the air conditioning on board its trains.

The Met Office said that while Britain is expected to see some rain on Saturday and Sunday, the very hot spell will continue next week with temperatures rising to over 30C.

Separately on Thursday a committee of lawmakers said premature deaths from heatwaves in Britain could more than treble to around 7,000 a year by mid-century if the government does not take action.

(Reporting by James Davey; editing by Stephen Addison)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.