UK orders probe as British F35 fighter jet crashes in Mediterranean, pilot ejects safely

The aircraft carrier has been on its first operational deployment over the past six months, carrying out visits to 40 countries including India, Japan, South Korea and Singapore

Press Trust of India November 18, 2021 17:13:18 IST
UK orders probe as British F35 fighter jet crashes in Mediterranean, pilot ejects safely

Representational Image. AP

London: An F35 jet from a British aircraft carrier crashed in an undisclosed location in the Mediterranean Sea on Wednesday morning, the Ministry of Defense said, adding that the jet’s British pilot ejected safely and returned to the HMS Queen Elizabeth.

An official investigation was opened. The ministry declined to provide further details.

The F35s, estimated to be worth around 100 million pounds ($135 million) each, are on board the 3 billion-pound HMS Queen Elizabeth.

Jets from the vessel previously participated in strikes against remnants of the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria.

The aircraft carrier has been on its first operational deployment over the past six months, carrying out visits to 40 countries including India, Japan, South Korea and Singapore.

Updated Date:

also read

Gulf diplomatic crisis: Doha denies Arab states' claim of emergency air corridors allotment to Qatari planes
World

Gulf diplomatic crisis: Doha denies Arab states' claim of emergency air corridors allotment to Qatari planes

Arab states said they would allow Qatari planes to use air corridors in emergencies, but Doha denied it, saying they were spreading "false information".

Over 700 migrants feared dead in three Mediterranean Sea shipwrecks: UN
World

Over 700 migrants feared dead in three Mediterranean Sea shipwrecks: UN

Over 700 migrants are feared dead in three Mediterranean Sea shipwrecks, south of Italy, in the last few days as they tried desperately to reach Europe

Live: Obama gets top Congress support for Syria intervention
World

Live: Obama gets top Congress support for Syria intervention

Russian radar detected two ballistic "objects" that were fired towards the eastern Mediterranean from the central part of the sea on Tuesday, state-run news agency RIA quoted the Defence Ministry as saying.