U.S. vice president reiterates plan to withdraw troops from Syria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence said on Wednesday that he and President Donald Trump condemned a suicide bomb attack in Syria that has killed at least 19 people, including four U.S. troops, but reiterated the United States would continue with its plan to withdraw troops from the country.

Reuters January 17, 2019 03:05:49 IST
U.S. vice president reiterates plan to withdraw troops from Syria

US vice president reiterates plan to withdraw troops from Syria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence said on Wednesday that he and President Donald Trump condemned a suicide bomb attack in Syria that has killed at least 19 people, including four U.S. troops, but reiterated the United States would continue with its plan to withdraw troops from the country.

"Thanks to the courage of our armed forces, we have crushed the ISIS caliphate and devastated its capabilities. As we begin to bring our troops home ... we will never allow the remnants of ISIS to reestablish their evil and murderous caliphate," Pence said in a statement.

(Reporting by Makini Brice and Tim Ahmann; Editing by David Alexander)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.