U.S. Supreme Court rejects Trump bid to halt climate change case
By Lawrence Hurley WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected a bid by President Donald Trump's administration to put the brakes on a lawsuit filed by young activists who have accused the U.S. government of ignoring the perils of climate change.
By Lawrence Hurley
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected a bid by President Donald Trump's administration to put the brakes on a lawsuit filed by young activists who have accused the U.S. government of ignoring the perils of climate change.
In the lawsuit, 21 activists, ages 11 to 22, said federal officials violated their rights to due process under the U.S. Constitution by failing to adequately address carbon pollution such as emissions from the burning of fossil fuels.
The lawsuit was filed in 2015 against former President Barack Obama and government agencies in a federal court in Oregon. In a 2016 ruling, a judge allowed the case to proceed, prompting the government to appeal. The Trump administration, inheriting the case, had asked for the lawsuit to be thrown out or put on hold.
The brief unsigned order said the Trump administration's request was premature. The court did, however, note that the claims made in the ambitious lawsuit are "striking" and the question of whether they can be considered by a jury "presents substantial grounds for difference of opinion."
As such, the lower court should take those concerns into account in handling the case, the order said.
The high court's move followed a July 20 decision by the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that refused to throw out the lawsuit.
The high court's action in the case could be the last official act for Justice Anthony Kennedy, who announced last month he would retire effective on Tuesday. Trump has nominated conservative U.S. appeals court judge Brett Kavanaugh to replace Kennedy.
(Reporting by Lawrence Hurley; Editing by Will Dunham)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.