WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States and South Korea have agreed to suspend a joint military exercise scheduled to take place in August, a U.S. official said on Monday, after President Donald Trump pledged to end "war games" after his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last week.
The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the exercise "Ulchi Freedom Guardian" would be suspended in line with Trump's comments and an official announcement was expected in the coming days.
Last year, 17,500 American and more than 50,000 South Korean troops participated in the Ulchi Freedom Guardian drills, although the exercise is mostly focussed on computerized simulations rather than live field exercises that use weapons, tanks or aircraft.
(Reporting by Idrees Ali; Editing by James Dalgleish)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: Jun 19, 2018 04:05:12 IST