U.S. probe into El Faro disaster concludes public hearings | Reuters
By Letitia Stein | TAMPA, Fla. TAMPA, Fla.
By Letitia Stein
| TAMPA, Fla.
TAMPA, Fla. U.S. investigators stood in silence for 33 seconds on Friday as they concluded the public phase of a probe into the sinking of the El Faro cargo ship during a 2015 hurricane, recognising each crew member aboard who died.The Coast Guard's Marine Board of Investigation, convened for the most serious accidents, heard two weeks of testimony in the last of a series of hearings on the worst disaster involving a U.S.-flagged vessel in more than three decades.Captain Jason Neubauer, the panel's chairman, said it had collected sufficient evidence for a forthcoming analysis. Eventually, the board expects to issue a report that could make recommendations to prevent another disaster.The National Transportation Safety Board also plans to release a report finding the probable cause of the accident.
Investigators said they were inspired by the relatives of the deceased, many attending six total weeks of testimony during the three rounds of hearings held in Jacksonville, Florida."It has been difficult to watch and listen as the struggle to come to terms with the tragedy continues on a daily basis," Neubauer said.
All 33 crew onboard died when the 790-foot (241-meter) El Faro sank during Hurricane Joaquin on Oct. 1, 2015, two days after leaving Jacksonville on a run to Puerto Rico.The widow of El Faro captain Michael Davidson, a veteran mariner from Maine, shared a closing statement through an attorney. It noted that Davidson was shown during the hearings to be a careful professional who had refused to leave a crew member behind, giving up a chance to fight for his own survival.
"We all owe it to the El Faro 33 to learn what happened," said Tim Nolan, president of Tote Maritime Puerto Rico, the ship's owner, at the end of the hearing.During the final round of testimony, the panel learned that the El Faro had little room for troubles on its final voyage, operating with a minimal stability margin. (Reporting by Letitia Stein; Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Alistair Bell)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.