WASHINGTON The U.S. military is preparing the bulk transfer of 10 Guantanamo detainees to countries in the Middle East on Thursday, Fox News reported on Tuesday, citing two defence officials.
The transfer would be the largest group of detainees to be shipped out of the prison in Cuba since Defense Secretary Ash Carter informed Congress in December that his department would transfer a wave of detainees at the beginning of 2016, Fox News said.
A Pentagon spokesman declined to comment on the bulk transfer plan, Fox said.
But Pentagon officials have said more Guantanamo transfers were expected soon and were likely to bring the population of the prison for foreign fighters below 100. Four detainees have been transferred so far this year, leaving the camp population at 103.
(Reporting by David Alexander; Editing by Eric Beech)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: Jan 13, 2016 05:15:15 IST