U.S. judge holds Trump adviser Stone's ex-aide in contempt - report

U.S. judge holds Trump adviser Stone's ex-aide in contempt - report

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An associate of longtime Donald Trump adviser Roger Stone refused to appear before a grand jury on Friday following a subpoena from U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller and was found in contempt, the Washington Post reported.

The refusal by the witness, Andrew Miller, prompted a sealed hearing before a federal judge, who then made the ruling, the Post said.

Reuters could not immediately confirm the report.

Mueller issued a subpoena to Miller earlier this year, making him the third associate of Stone to be identified as having been contacted by Mueller's investigators in the Department of Justice probe.

Miller's lawyer in June said he would seek to quash the subpoena.

A judge in Washington, however, rejected that challenge, according to the Post. On Friday, U.S. District Chief Judge Beryl Howell found Miller in contempt but stayed the order pending appeal, the newspaper reported.

Mueller is probing Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, and Miller's subpoena is the latest to suggest the special counsel's probe is focusing at least in part on Stone, an early Trump backer with a reputation as an aggressive political operative.

Russia has denied meddling in the election. President Donald Trump has repeatedly said there was no collusion between his campaign and Russia and has called Mueller's investigation a witch hunt.

(Reporting by Susan Heavey)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.


Updated Date: Aug 11, 2018 00:07 AM

Also See