U.S. judge dismisses claims over 2009 Fort Hood massacre
By Jonathan Stempel (Reuters) - A federal judge in Washington, D.C. has dismissed wrongful death claims against senior U.S
By Jonathan Stempel
(Reuters) - A federal judge in Washington, D.C. has dismissed wrongful death claims against senior U.S. government officials and civilian employees brought by victims of the 2009 mass shooting at the Fort Hood military base in Killeen, Texas, which killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others.
U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly said on Tuesday night she lacked jurisdiction over claims by roughly 150 victims and family members against the secretary of defense, secretary of the army and FBI director because the United States was not also named as a defendant.
She also dismissed some claims because plaintiffs failed to exhaust their remedies with the Army and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or because government liability for civilian employee conduct was limited.
The damages lawsuit was filed three years after the Nov. 5, 2009 attack where U.S.-born Nidal Hasan, a U.S. Army major and psychiatrist, opened fire at a Fort Hood medical facility.
Hasan, 48, shouted "Allahu Akbar," meaning "God is greatest" in Arabic, during the attack, which he later called an act of retaliation for U.S. wars in the Muslim world. He was sentenced to death in an Aug. 2013 court-martial.
The plaintiffs said officials knew or should have known Hasan was a threat, including through his alleged mistreatment of American soldiers who were his patients, and were grossly negligent in failing to stop him.
Kollar-Kotelly said some claims could be refiled, but dismissed other claims by military personnel and their families with prejudice because their alleged injuries were "incident to military service," limiting government liability.
Neal Sher, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said he is reviewing the 46-page decision, which did not address the merits of his clients' claims.
"We will take whatever steps we can to pursue our claims," he said in an interview.
The U.S. Department of Justice did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Hasan communicated before the attack with Anwar al-Awlaki, a U.S.-born cleric whose teachings were believed by federal prosecutors to have inspired terrorism plots on behalf of al Qaeda. The cleric was killed in a 2011 drone strike in Yemen.
The case is Manning et al v Esper et al, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, No. 12-01802.
(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Marguerita Choy)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.