U.S. expected to withdraw legal action against Apple | Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO The U.S. Justice Department is expected to withdraw its legal action in California seeking to force Apple (AAPL.O) to unlock an encrypted iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino shooters, a law enforcement official familiar with the situation said.

Apple declined to immediately comment on Monday.

Apple has been fighting a court order obtained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation last month, which required the company to write new software to disable passcode protection and allow access to the phone used by one of the San Bernardino, California shooters, Rizwan Farook.

U.S. officials said last week that they were hopeful they would be able to unlock the iPhone without help from Apple.

(Reporting by Dan Levine in San Francisco; Writing by Eric Beech; Editing by Tom Brown)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.


Updated Date: Mar 29, 2016 04:00 AM

Also Watch

Watch: Firstpost test rides the new Thunderbird 500X in Goa and walks you through the Royal Enfield Garage Cafe
  • Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Varun Dhawan on Shoojit Sircar's October, 5-star reviews and working with Anushka Sharma in Sui Dhaaga
  • Saturday, April 14, 2018 Ambedkar Jayanti: Re-visiting Babasaheb's ideals exposes fake Dalit politics of Rahul Gandhi and Congress
  • Monday, April 9, 2018 48 hours with Huawei P20 Pro: Triple camera offering is set to redefine smartphone imaging
  • Monday, April 16, 2018 Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore interview: Sports can't be anyone's fiefdom, we need an ecosystem to nurture raw talent

Also See