U.S. appeals court backs Trump administration bid to deport some Iraqis
By Mica Rosenberg and Dan Levine NEW YORK/SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A U.S. appeals court on Thursday backed the Trump administration in its attempt to deport from the United States about 100 Iraqi immigrants who had been convicted of crimes years ago.
By Mica Rosenberg and Dan Levine
NEW YORK/SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A U.S. appeals court on Thursday backed the Trump administration in its attempt to deport from the United States about 100 Iraqi immigrants who had been convicted of crimes years ago.
A divided 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel reversed a lower court ruling that had blocked U.S. President Donald Trump's bid to send the immigrants back to Iraq. The appeals court also disagreed with the Michigan federal judge's order that the immigrants receive bail hearings.
In 2017, the Trump administration detained the Iraqis as part of a broad effort to ramp up immigration enforcement across the country. Many of the Iraqis had been ordered deported years or decades ago because of criminal offences but had not been deported because their home country would not take them back.
"Though many of these Iraqi nationals had come to expect that the execution of their removals would never materialise, they had been living in the United States on borrowed time," the appeals court ruling said.
The Iraqis challenged their detentions and deportation orders in court.
In November, U.S. Judge Mark Goldsmith in Michigan ordered the administration to release anyone held longer than six months while the U.S. government sought to carry out the deportation orders.
The U.S. government said it had an agreement with Iraq to take the deportees back. But Goldsmith in his ruling criticized the Trump administration for making "demonstrably false" statements about the Iraqi government's cooperation.
Two appeals court judges on the three-judge panel overturned Goldsmith's ruling, saying the district court lacked the jurisdiction to rule on removal orders, which are overseen by the attorney general and the immigration courts. The appeals court judges also said the lower court lacked jurisdiction to rule on the detention claims.
Steven Stafford, a spokesman for the Justice Department, said in a statement that the injunctions had "undercut the Executive Branch's authority and duty to detain and remove aliens - aliens who had been ordered removed from the United States long ago."
Appellate Judge Helene White wrote a dissenting opinion saying the lower court does have jurisdiction over the claims.
She wrote that the petitioners presented evidence that they were likely to be killed or tortured if deported. "The government did not contest this evidence," she wrote.
(Reporting by Dan Levine in San Francisco and Mica Rosenberg in New York; editing by Jonathan Oatis)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
By Jessica Resnick-Ault NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil prices strengthened on Wednesday, as OPEC and its allies were seen complying with a pact to cut oil supply in September, even as concerns loomed that recovery in fuel demand will be stalled by soaring global coronavirus cases. Early in the day crude was boosted by a bullish stock market. Even as equities whipsawed on pandemic worries, oil stayed higher, buoyed by expectations that OPEC could staunch a supply glut
By Tina Bellon and C Nivedita (Reuters) - Tesla Inc will further cut the price of its Model S "Long Range" sedan in the United States to $69,420, the electric carmaker's chief executive, Elon Musk, announced in a tweet https://bit.ly/2H0JCP0 on Wednesday. The anticipated drop marks the second time this week Tesla has cut the price for the high-end sedan, following a 4% cut of the Model S's price in the United States on Tuesday to $71,990.
By Jeff Mason DES MOINES, Iowa (Reuters) - Under siege over his handling of the novel coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump on Wednesday cited what he said was his son's mild bout of the virus as a reason why American schools should reopen as soon as possible. Trump made the comment about his son, Barron, as the president swept into Iowa on a mission to shore up support in battleground states that he won in 2016 but is in danger of losing to Democrat Joe Biden barely three weeks before the election. First lady Melania Trump announced in a statement earlier in the day that the virus that struck both her and her husband had also infected their 14-year-old son