Two Guantanamo detainees transferred to Bosnia, Montenegro - Pentagon | Reuters

WASHINGTON Two more prisoners in the U.S. fight against al Qaeda were transferred from the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to countries that agreed to take them on humanitarian grounds, the Pentagon said on Thursday.

Sixteen Guantanamo inmates have been transferred to countries in the Middle East and elsewhere since the start of the year as the administration presses ahead with efforts to try to close the military prison before the end of President Barack Obama's term.

The Pentagon notified Congress in December that it was preparing to transfer a total of 17 inmates. Ian Moss, chief of staff for the State Department's Guantanamo envoy, which negotiates all transfers, said one prisoner, a Yemeni man, "declined to accept a resettlement offer."

The transfers on Thursday brought the Guantanamo prison population to 91, the Pentagon said.

Those transferred included Tariq Mahmoud Ahmed al Sawah, a 58-year-old Egyptian-born Bosnian man, who was taken by the Bosnian government. Al Sawah had been held at Guantanamo for more than 13 years and had health issues, according to leaked Defense Department documents.

Abd al-Aziz Abduh Abdallah Ali Al-Suwaydi, a 41-year-old Yemeni man, was transferred to Montenegro. He also had been held at Guantanamo for more than 13 years.

(Reporting by David Alexander and Matt Spetalnick; Editing by Doina Chiacu)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.


Updated Date: Jan 22, 2016 00:46 AM

Also Watch

IPL 2018: Royal Challengers Bangalore eye revival against Chennai Super Kings as 'Cauvery Derby' comes back to life
  • Thursday, April 26, 2018 In the Kanjarbhat community, a campaign against 'virginity tests' is slowly gaining ground
  • Tuesday, April 24, 2018 It's A Wrap: Beyond the Clouds stars Ishaan Khatter, Malavika Mohanan in conversation with Parul Sharma
  • Monday, April 9, 2018 48 hours with Huawei P20 Pro: Triple camera offering is set to redefine smartphone imaging
  • Monday, April 16, 2018 Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore interview: Sports can't be anyone's fiefdom, we need an ecosystem to nurture raw talent

Also See