Two Colombian FARC rebels killed in combat, military says | Reuters

BOGOTA Two Marxist FARC rebels were killed in combat and another surrendered in Colombia's northern Bolivar province when they left their pre-determined zone carrying weapons, the military said on Wednesday, the first time the bilateral ceasefire has been broken.Colombia's government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) signed a peace accord in September that was rejected in a plebiscite last month.The two sides finalised a revised deal over the weekend that aims to end 52 years of conflict that has killed more than 220,000 people and displaced millions.Thousands of FARC fighters have been left in limbo by the rejection on Oct.

Reuters November 17, 2016 04:01:49 IST
Two Colombian FARC rebels killed in combat, military says
| Reuters

Two Colombian FARC rebels killed in combat military says
 Reuters

BOGOTA Two Marxist FARC rebels were killed in combat and another surrendered in Colombia's northern Bolivar province when they left their pre-determined zone carrying weapons, the military said on Wednesday, the first time the bilateral ceasefire has been broken.Colombia's government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) signed a peace accord in September that was rejected in a plebiscite last month.The two sides finalised a revised deal over the weekend that aims to end 52 years of conflict that has killed more than 220,000 people and displaced millions.Thousands of FARC fighters have been left in limbo by the rejection on Oct. 2 of the original peace accord. Until they disarm, rebels remain in predetermined areas and must provide coordinates to the military if they want to leave.

The rebels were extorting people in the area some 68 km (42 miles) from the area of concentration and carrying weapons, the military said in a statement.

A decision on how the new accord will be approved has not yet been made, but it appears more likely to go through Congress rather than face another national vote.President Juan Manuel Santos ordered the ceasefire with the rebels in August.

(Reporting by Helen Murphy and Luis Jaime Acosta; Editing by James Dalgleish)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

also read

Ex-Facebook employee, who accused social media giant of putting profit over public good, to push for regulation
World

Ex-Facebook employee, who accused social media giant of putting profit over public good, to push for regulation

Frances Haugen is set to testify on Capitol Hill after she leaked reams of internal research to authorities and The Wall Street Journal, which detailed how Facebook knew its sites were potentially harmful to young people's mental health

Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram outage: Mark Zuckerberg issues apology
Tech

Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram outage: Mark Zuckerberg issues apology

Downdetector, which monitors reports of outages across the internet, said the Facebook service outage is the largest it has ever seen with over 10.6 million problem reports from all over the globe

Sorry for the disruption: Mark Zuckerberg apologises for Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp going down for five hours
News & Analysis

Sorry for the disruption: Mark Zuckerberg apologises for Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp going down for five hours

Facebook explained that the configuration changes on the routers caused issues that interrupted this communication.