Twitter briefly restricts Trump campaign account amid Republican outcry
By Elizabeth Culliford and Nandita Bose (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's re-election campaign's Twitter account was briefly restricted from tweeting on Thursday, spurring an outcry from Republican lawmakers who accused social media companies of acting like 'speech police' and vowing to hold Twitter responsible
By Elizabeth Culliford and Nandita Bose
(Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's re-election campaign's Twitter account was briefly restricted from tweeting on Thursday, spurring an outcry from Republican lawmakers who accused social media companies of acting like "speech police" and vowing to hold Twitter responsible.
Twitter temporarily blocked the @TeamTrump account from sending tweets after it posted a video about Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden's son that it said violated its rules.
The video referred to a New York Post story from Wednesday that contained alleged details of Hunter Biden's business dealings with a Ukrainian energy company and said the former vice president had met with an adviser of the company.
Biden campaign spokesman Andrew Bates said in a statement that Republican-led Senate committees have previously concluded that Joe Biden engaged in no wrongdoing related to Ukraine. He also denied such a meeting had taken place.
A Twitter spokesman told Reuters earlier on Thursday that the @TeamTrump account, as well as the accounts of White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany and the New York Post, had been blocked from tweeting due to the company's policies on hacked materials and posting private information. He said the accounts may need to delete the rule-breaking posts to continue tweeting.
The Trump campaign, with 2.2 million followers, was sending tweets again on Thursday afternoon. It said in a new tweet it was "re-posting the video Twitter doesn't want you to watch." A Twitter spokesman told Reuters that the site would not take action as alterations to the video meant it no longer violated its policies.
"It's going to all end up in a big lawsuit and there are things that can happen that are very severe that I'd rather not see happen, but it's probably going to have to," Trump said, when asked about the move by Twitter. Both Facebook Inc
Facebook reduced how often the story shows up in users' news feeds and elsewhere on the Facebook platform, an action that spokesman Andy Stone said the company takes "if we have signals that a piece of content is false."
Facebook did not immediately respond to Reuters questions on whether its fact-checking partners were working on rating the NY Post's story.
Twitter prohibited its users from posting links to two New York Post articles about Hunter Biden, saying they violated its policy against posting private information and its "hacked materials" policy, which bars the distribution of content obtained through hacking that contains private information or trade secrets, or puts people at risk of physical harm.
But Twitter's Chief Executive Jack Dorsey tweeted on Wednesday saying "our communication around our actions on the @nypost article was not great. And blocking URL sharing via tweet or DM with zero context as to why we're blocking: unacceptable."
A Twitter spokesman declined to answer Reuters questions on whether Dorsey had been involved in the decisions on these restrictions on Wednesday or Thursday.
The House Judiciary Committee responded to Twitter's actions by tweeting a link to a copy of the New York Post's story on its website. Twitter blocked the link but later said this had been in error and reversed the action. Neither the @nypost or @kayleighmcenany accounts have tweeted in nearly a day, suggesting that they are still blocked from posting. The New York Post did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Republican lawmakers slammed the social media companies' actions on Thursday. U.S. Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell said the blocking of the story was "reprehensible" and that there should be no "speech police" in the United States.
After Twitter imposed the restrictions, the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee moved to subpoena Dorsey.
Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham and Republican senators Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley said the committee will vote on sending the subpoena on Tuesday, Oct. 20 and plans to have Dorsey in front of the committee by Oct. 23. Senator Hawley also called for sending a subpoena to Facebook.
"We're going to finally have an accounting that is long overdue," Graham said. "This to me crystallizes the problem better than anything I could think of."
Senator Marco Rubio also urged Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai to re-examine Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.
The CEOs of Twitter, Facebook and Alphabet Inc's
The calls to reform Section 230 and penalize tech companies has been intensifying but it is unlikely there will be action on the law by Congress this year.
(Reporting by Elizabeth Culliford in London and Nandita Bose in Washington; Additional reporting by Munsif Vengattil in Bengaluru, David Shepardson and Susan Cornwell in Washington and Katie Paul in San Francisco; Editing by Shinjini Ganguli and Lisa Shumaker)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.