Trump says he will add $1 billion to food for families program
MILLS RIVER, N.C. (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Monday his administration would provide an additional $1 billion to a program that provides food to American families dealing with the economic hardship from the coronavirus pandemic. The Farmers to Families Food Box program is one of several government efforts to help struggling Americans.
MILLS RIVER, N.C. (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Monday his administration would provide an additional $1 billion to a program that provides food to American families dealing with the economic hardship from the coronavirus pandemic.
The Farmers to Families Food Box program is one of several government efforts to help struggling Americans. It aims to buy food from farmers who typically produced for restaurants but lost business because of coronavirus-related shutdowns, and deliver it to the millions of people who were thrown out of work or were otherwise hurt by the pandemic.
"Today I am proud to announce that we will provide an additional one billion dollars to fund the Farmers to Families Food Box program," Trump said during an visit to a North Carolina food packing plant.
Reuters reported in July that the government had delivered far less food aid under the up to $3 billion program announced in April than it had pledged by the end of June, citing food banks managers and data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
The program was criticized by food banks, analysts and some U.S. senators, who said contracts were often awarded to inexperienced vendors that were unable to source the food and deliver it in a timely manner.
According to the USDA website, the department aims to complete the purchase of up to $2.7 billion of food under the aid program by the end of August.
The White House said in a statement on Monday that under the program, more than 70 million boxes of food had been delivered to food banks and nonprofit organizations.
(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Writing by Mohammad Zargham; Editing by Chris Reese and Bill Berkrot)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.