Trump rejects proposal to cut military healthcare; sources say no formal proposal

(Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said he rejected a Pentagon proposal to cut military healthcare by $2.2 billion, although such a reduction did not appear to have been formally proposed. Politico reported https://politi.co/2E5GqQS on Sunday that Pentagon officials had proposed slashing military healthcare by $2.2 billion.

Reuters August 19, 2020 00:11:02 IST
Trump rejects proposal to cut military healthcare; sources say no formal proposal

Trump rejects proposal to cut military healthcare sources say no formal proposal

(Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said he rejected a Pentagon proposal to cut military healthcare by $2.2 billion, although such a reduction did not appear to have been formally proposed.

Politico reported https://politi.co/2E5GqQS on Sunday that Pentagon officials had proposed slashing military healthcare by $2.2 billion.

However, U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Monday that he had not directed or approved any cuts to the military healthcare system in future budgets.

Trump said in a tweet https://bit.ly/2Czf2dk late on Monday: "A proposal by Pentagon officials to slash Military Healthcare by $2.2 billion dollars has been firmly and totally rejected by me."

His tweet suggested that the proposal had made it to the White House. However, sources told Reuters the proposal was never formally presented to Pentagon leadership or the White House.

Tweets by Trump and his political rival Joe Biden, who also voiced opposition to cuts, reflect an eagerness to show solidarity with the United States military ahead of the November presidential election.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Tom Hogue and Dan Grebler)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.