Trump decides administration officials cannot attend White House correspondents dinner

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Tuesday barred White House staff and members of his administration from attending this year's White House Correspondents' Association dinner on Saturday, officials said. Trump had already said he would not attend the annual dinner, instead scheduling a political rally in Wisconsin, but he had not decided whether anyone from his staff could attend.

Reuters April 24, 2019 02:06:13 IST
Trump decides administration officials cannot attend White House correspondents dinner

Trump decides administration officials cannot attend White House correspondents dinner

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Tuesday barred White House staff and members of his administration from attending this year's White House Correspondents' Association dinner on Saturday, officials said.

Trump had already said he would not attend the annual dinner, instead scheduling a political rally in Wisconsin, but he had not decided whether anyone from his staff could attend.

The decision that no one from his team could participate was announced to White House staff and other representatives from the administration by White House Cabinet Secretary Bill McGinley at their morning meeting, officials said.

It set off a scramble as many staffers had accepted invitations thinking Trump would allow them to go.

"The president and members of his administration will not attend the White House Correspondents' Dinner this year. Instead, Saturday evening, President Trump will travel to Green Bay, Wisconsin, where he will hold a campaign rally," said a White House official.

Trump, who has denounced the mainstream news media as "fake news" and routinely directs his supporters to watch the Fox News Channel, has not attended the dinner since he became president in January 2017.

The White House Correspondents' Association dinner has been attended by presidents most years since the organisation was founded in 1914. The group raises money for scholarships and honors the U.S. Constitution's "freedom of the press" First Amendment.

In recent decades, the group has had a comedian as entertainment, but comedian Michelle Wolf's lampooning of White House press secretary Sarah Sanders, who was seated nearby during the performance, drew so much criticism last year that the association this year is bringing in historian Ron Chernow for remarks.

"We’re looking forward to an enjoyable evening of celebrating the First Amendment and great journalists past, present, and future," said Olivier Knox, president of the White House Correspondents' Association.

(Reporting by Steve Holland; Editing by Peter Cooney)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

OPEC+ sticks to plan to ease oil output cuts from May 1
Business

OPEC+ sticks to plan to ease oil output cuts from May 1

By Rania El Gamal, Olesya Astakhova and Ahmad Ghaddar DUBAI/MOSCOW/LONDON (Reuters) - OPEC, Russia and their allies will stick to plans for a phased easing of oil production restrictions from May to July amid upbeat forecasts for a recovery in global demand and despite surging coronavirus cases in India, Brazil and Japan. The group known as OPEC+ ditched plans to hold a ministerial meeting on Wednesday, four OPEC+ sources said, following Tuesday's meeting of ministers who are members of a market monitoring panel.

U.S. consumer confidence soars to 14-month high; house prices accelerate
Business

U.S. consumer confidence soars to 14-month high; house prices accelerate

By Lucia Mutikani WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. consumer confidence jumped to a 14-month high in April as increased vaccinations against COVID-19 and additional fiscal stimulus allowed for more services businesses to reopen, boosting demand and hiring by companies. The upbeat survey from the Conference Board on Tuesday, which also showed a strong increase in vacation plans, suggested the economy continued to power ahead early in the second quarter after what appears to have been robust growth in the first three months of the year, believed by many economists to have been the second strongest since 2003.

Musk trolls Bezos as space race between world's richest men heats up
Business

Musk trolls Bezos as space race between world's richest men heats up

(Reuters) - The space race between the world's two richest men went into hyperdrive on Tuesday after Tesla chief Elon Musk took a swipe at Jeff Bezos' attempt to challenge a major NASA contract. The two billionaires, who have been trying to launch long-range orbital rockets, were competing for a coveted contract from the government to build a spaceship to deliver astronauts to the moon as early as 2024. Musk won.