Trending:

Trump and Maduro spoke on phone last week to discuss possible meeting: Report

FP News Desk November 29, 2025, 08:38:25 IST

The discussion came just days before the State Department’s designation of Maduro as the leader of what the administration labels a foreign terrorist organisation, the Cartel de los Soles, went into effect

Advertisement
Reports of imminent action have intensified as US forces build up in the Caribbean amid rapidly deteriorating relations with Venezuela. (Photo: Reuters/AFP)
Reports of imminent action have intensified as US forces build up in the Caribbean amid rapidly deteriorating relations with Venezuela. (Photo: Reuters/AFP)

US President Donald Trump spoke to Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro on the phone last week, discussing the possibility of a meeting between the two leaders.

According to a report by the New York Times, the call, which also involved Secretary of State Marco Rubio, took place late in the week. While the idea of a US-based meeting was raised, officials say there are currently no concrete plans for it.

The discussion came just days before the State Department’s designation of Maduro as the leader of what the administration labels a foreign terrorist organisation, the Cartel de los Soles, went into effect.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The United States has significantly increased its military presence in the Caribbean, citing efforts to deter drug smuggling, while also signalling a desire to remove Maduro from power, potentially by force.

What was discussed?

Earlier reports indicated that Maduro had offered the US stakes in Venezuela’s oil fields and other opportunities for American companies in an effort to ease tensions. However, those negotiations were cut short last month after Maduro insisted on remaining in power.

It remains unclear how the phone conversation might influence the U.S. approach toward Maduro. Trump has historically pursued a dual-track strategy with adversaries, combining dialogue with threats of military action.

In Venezuela, the administration has conducted missile strikes on boats accused of drug trafficking, deployed an aircraft carrier group, sent Air Force bombers to the region, prepared covert operations, and repeatedly warned of potential force.

Trump threatens land attack

The US will “very soon” begin targeting suspected Venezuelan drug traffickers on land, Trump said on Thanksgiving Day.

“You probably noticed that people aren’t wanting to be delivering by sea, and we’ll be starting to stop them by land also. The land is easier, but that’s going to start very soon,” Trump said during a virtual Thanksgiving call with American service members.

Addressing the troops, Trump suggested the United States is preparing additional action against alleged Venezuelan trafficking networks. “In recent weeks, you’ve been working to deter Venezuelan drug traffickers, of which there are many. Of course, there aren’t too many coming in by sea anymore,” he said. “You probably noticed that people aren’t wanting to be delivering by sea, and we’ll be starting to stop them by land also. The land is easier, but that’s going to start very soon. We warn them: Stop sending poison to our country.”

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD
Follow Firstpost on Google. Get insightful explainers, sharp opinions, and in-depth latest news on everything from geopolitics and diplomacy to World News. Stay informed with the latest perspectives only on Firstpost.
End of Article
Enjoying the news?

Get the latest stories delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe

QUICK LINKS

Home Video Quick Reads Shorts Live TV