Tens of thousands evacuated as cyclone targets Tamil Nadu
By Sudarshan Varadhan CHENNAI (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of people were evacuated from low-lying areas of Tamil Nadu ahead of a cyclone expected to make landfall in the early hours of Thursday.
By Sudarshan Varadhan
CHENNAI (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of people were evacuated from low-lying areas of Tamil Nadu ahead of a cyclone expected to make landfall in the early hours of Thursday.
Cyclone Nivar, labelled a category 1 "severe cyclonic storm" on a scale from 1 to 5 by Tropical Storm Risk, was likely to damage houses, uproot power lines and trees and destroy crops along India's southeast coast, the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
"Over 145,000 people have been shifted to 1,516 relief camps across the state as a precaution," R.B. Udhayakumar, Tamil Nadu's disaster management minister, told Reuters.
Edappadi Palaniswami, Tamil Nadu state's chief minister, has declared Wednesday and Thursday public holidays in some areas, advised fishermen not venture out to sea and asked people to stay indoors.
The districts of Cuddalore and Nagapattinam, located south of Chennai on the state's coast, accounted for the most number of evacuations, together totalling nearly 89,000 people, Udhayakumar said.
Areas in and around the state's capital Chennai witnessed intense spells of rain and strong winds on Wednesday.
Many companies in Chennai, home to a flourishing automobile industry and dubbed the "Detroit of South Asia", shut operations on Wednesday.
Government officials in Chennai released water from a major reservoir and cleared fallen trees. Vessels in the city's port have been moved to sea and port operations will likely remain shut until the cyclone has passed, a senior port official said.
Chennai's airport will remain closed at least until 7 a.m.
(0130 GMT) on Thursday, India's aviation minister said in a post on Twitter.
(Reporting by Sudarshan Varadhan; Editing by Alexander Smith and Nick Macfie)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.