Teens behind octogenarian Gravel's long-shot 2020 campaign tweet from debate sidelines
By Elizabeth Culliford SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - After former Senator Mike Gravel failed to make the Democratic debate stage this week, the two teens running the 89-year-old's long-shot U.S. presidential campaign used their spot on the sidelines trying to attract new supporters through social media. David Oks and Henry Williams, both 18, spent Wednesday firing tweets from their seats in the debate's Miami audience, attacking the candidates speaking on stage
By Elizabeth Culliford
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - After former Senator Mike Gravel failed to make the Democratic debate stage this week, the two teens running the 89-year-old's long-shot U.S. presidential campaign used their spot on the sidelines trying to attract new supporters through social media.
David Oks and Henry Williams, both 18, spent Wednesday firing tweets from their seats in the debate's Miami audience, attacking the candidates speaking on stage.
Under the @MikeGravel Twitter handle, which shows Gravel sporting sunglasses and making a peace sign, the teens mocked former congressman Beto O'Rourke and Senator Cory Booker's use of Spanish. They blasted former Vice President Joe Biden on his civil rights record, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand over immigration and California congressman Eric Swalwell for "looking like the demonic representation of blandness."
"Welcome to the second #DemDebate (Joe Biden goes off the rails edition)," they tweeted Thursday, now back at home in suburban New York.
The teens aim to get Gravel on the debate stage to steer the Democratic conversation to the left, particularly on foreign policy issues. The former Alaska senator wants to slash military spending and bring all troops home.
The acerbic campaign has struck a chord. The @MikeGravel account saw a bump of some 9,000 Twitter followers since Wednesday, jumping to about 109,000, and the campaign says they are nearing 50,000 unique donors. They need 65,000 to make the next debate.
Gravel does not generally approve social media posts but prefers to have a "veto" role. "He's told us a few times to stop cursing," said Oks.
They convinced Gravel, known for reading the Pentagon Papers into the congressional record in 1971, to make a run for the November 2020 election, reprising his 2008 effort. One of his first steps was handing over his dormant Twitter handle to them.
The digital campaign, which has spawned the hashtag #Gravelanche, posts content ranging from anti-war messages to memes of Gravel "dabbing" against a background of fire or shooting lasers from his eyes at "the 1 percent."
"There's a whole language to the internet that people haven't tapped into," said Jonathan Suhr, a 26-year-old ad designer who runs the campaign's Instagram account, contrasting the campaign's sharp attacks and memes aimed at younger voters with candidates who have played it safer online.
The team also is beefing up their online ads. It has spent $48,516 in total paid Facebook ads - about half what Democratic candidate Senator Elizabeth Warren spent in the last week – but aims to spend at least $100,000 by the debate in late July.
(Reporting by Elizabeth Culliford, Editing by Franklin Paul)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.