Suspect in Louvre attack says he did not get orders from Islamic state | Reuters
PARIS A man who attacked soldiers with machetes at the Louvre museum in Paris has told police he identifies with the beliefs of Islamic State but said he did not carry out the attack on orders from the militant group, a judicial source said on Wednesday.
PARIS A man who attacked soldiers with machetes at the Louvre museum in Paris has told police he identifies with the beliefs of Islamic State but said he did not carry out the attack on orders from the militant group, a judicial source said on Wednesday. Egyptian Abdullah Reda al-Hamahmy, 29, was shot and seriously wounded when he launched himself at a group of soldiers on Feb. 3, crying out "Allahu Akbar" (God is greatest) in what French President Francois Hollande described as a terrorist attack.Hamahmy, who was carrying spray paints in his backpack, has told police he wanted to damage paintings at the museum to "avenge the Syrian people", a source said.Hundreds of thousands of people have been killed and millions displaced in the conflict in Syria.
Hamahmy has been in hospital since the attack and late on Tuesday his police custody was lifted as his health had "greatly deteriorated".A source close to the investigation said that though he sympathised with Islamic State, Hamahmy said he had not been given instructions by the group and had not formally sworn allegiance to it.
He is being held on suspicion of seeking to carry out terrorist acts and involvement in criminal terrorist conspiracy and a formal investigation would begin once his health allowed.The source said the suspect had made two money transfers of 3,000 and 2,000 euros to a fellow Egyptian in Poland in the days immediately before the attack.
France, which is preparing for a presidential election in April and May, remains under a state of emergency following a series of attacks by militant Islamists over the past two years in which more than 230 people have been killed. (Reporting by Chine Labbe; Writing By Richard Balmforth; Editing by Dominic Evans)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.