Sudan has 5,000 troops in Yemen, down from 15,000
KHARTOUM (Reuters) - Sudan has 5,000 troops operating in Yemen, down from a peak of 15,000, Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok said on Sunday, adding that he believed no military solution was possible. Briefing journalists on his return from Washington, Hamdok said there had been no discussions during his visit about withdrawing the troops. 'Regarding Yemen we said that there is no military solution and there must be a political solution,' Hamdok told reporters at Khartoum airport
KHARTOUM (Reuters) - Sudan has 5,000 troops operating in Yemen, down from a peak of 15,000, Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok said on Sunday, adding that he believed no military solution was possible.
Briefing journalists on his return from Washington, Hamdok said there had been no discussions during his visit about withdrawing the troops.
"Regarding Yemen we said that there is no military solution and there must be a political solution," Hamdok told reporters at Khartoum airport.
Sudanese troops have been deployed as part of a Saudi-led alliance that intervened in Yemen in 2015 against the Houthi movement that controls the capital.
The conflict is seen in the region as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran. The Houthis, who control most big urban centres, say they are fighting a corrupt system.
Riyadh has been holding informal talks with the Houthis since late September about a ceasefire, sources have said, as it seeks to exit an unpopular war after its main coalition partner the United Arab Emirates withdrew troops.
The four-year war has killed tens of thousands of people and pushed millions to the brink of famine.
(Reporting by Khalid Abdelaziz; Writing by Aidan Lewis and Peter Graff)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
JAKARTA (Reuters) - An investigator with Indonesia's National Transportation Safety Committee (KNKT) said the Sriwijaya Air jet that crashed into the Java Sea with 62 people on board over the weekend possibly broke apart when it hit waters based on debris found so far. "We don't know for sure, but if we look at the debris, they're scattered in an area that is not too wide," Nurcahyo Utomo told Reuters on Monday. "It possibly ruptured when it hit waters because if it had exploded midair, the debris would be distributed more widely," he added
By Aziz El Yaakoubi, Jonathan Landay and Matt Spetalnick RIYADH/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States plans to designate Yemen's Houthi movement as a foreign terrorist organization, three sources familiar with the matter said, a move that diplomats and aid groups worry could threaten peace talks and complicate efforts to combat the world's largest humanitarian crisis. The decision to blacklist the Iran-aligned group, which could be announced as soon as Monday according to two of the sources, comes as the administration of President-elect Joe Biden prepares to take over from the Trump administration on Jan. 20
JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesian divers on Monday will try to retrieve the data recorders of a Sriwijaya Air jet that plunged into the sea two days ago with 62 people on board minutes after take off from Jakarta's main airport. The SJ 182 was headed on a domestic flight to Pontianak on Borneo island, about 740 km (460 miles) from Jakarta, on Saturday before it disappeared from radar screens four minutes after take-off and crashed into the Java sea