Storm in Macedonia kills at least 17 | Reuters

SKOPJE At least 17 people died in flash floods in the Macedonian capital Skopje during a storm on Saturday evening, Deputy Prime Minister Nikola Todorov said on Sunday, warning that the death toll could rise further.

Reuters August 07, 2016 23:45:07 IST
Storm in Macedonia kills at least 17
| Reuters

Storm in Macedonia kills at least 17
 Reuters

SKOPJE At least 17 people died in flash floods in the Macedonian capital Skopje during a storm on Saturday evening, Deputy Prime Minister Nikola Todorov said on Sunday, warning that the death toll could rise further.

Torrential rains had swept away a section of the ring road around Skopje and some cars had been carried hundreds of metres into nearby fields, a Reuters reporter said.

"This is a catastrophe of unprecedented proportion," Todorov said. He said he had received unconfirmed reports of three further deaths.

Northern suburbs of Skopje were particularly hard hit, with many homes flooded. There were also flash floods in the city centre, according to the reporter.

Police had said earlier that 22 people had been hurt during the storm.

Special police forces and trucks loaded with drinking water were heading for the most affected areas, and there some electricity outages, the Reuters reporter said.

The rain had stopped on Sunday morning and water levels were receding, but more rain was forecast for the evening in the capital of the small Balkan nation of 2 million inhabitants.

European Union Enlargement Commissioner Johannes Hahn said on Twitter that the EU stood ready to help Macedonia, which is a candidate to join the bloc.

Further north in the Balkans, in Croatia, heavy winds caused disruptions on some roads, including the closure of the highway linking the capital Zagreb to southern coast for lorries and buses, local media said.

(Additional reporting by Igor Ilic in Zagreb; Writing by Ingrid Melander; Editing Raissa Kasolowsky, Greg Mahlich)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

also read

US man’s gravestone missing for 150 years was being used to make fudge; recognised during auction sale
World

US man’s gravestone missing for 150 years was being used to make fudge; recognised during auction sale

The tombstone has the name Peter J Weller engraved on it. He was a Lansing pioneer and businessman who died in the year 1849.

Kamala Harris to 'reinforce' India-US strategic partnership in meeet with Narendra Modi: White House
World

Kamala Harris to 'reinforce' India-US strategic partnership in meeet with Narendra Modi: White House

Since taking office, US vice president Kamala Harris has met with or spoken to over thirty world leaders, promoting US interests on issues ranging from global health to climate change to cyber threats

Australia cuts French submarine deal for US nuclear fleet; Scott Morrison cites 'changed strategic environment' as reason
World

Australia cuts French submarine deal for US nuclear fleet; Scott Morrison cites 'changed strategic environment' as reason

Australia's submarine upgrade was a response to China’s takeover of the South China Sea, aggressive bullying of Australia and intimidation of Japan and Taiwan, said Peter Jennings.