Sri Lanka rubbish dump landslide death toll rises to 19 | Reuters

By Ranga Sirilal and Shihar Aneez | COLOMBO COLOMBO Emergency workers looking for survivors after a massive rubbish dump collapsed in Sri Lanka suspended their search on Saturday night, having already extracted 19 bodies from the rubble and mud.The 300-foot-high (90-metre) dump in the capital Colombo collapsed after flames engulfed it late on Friday, the nation's new year's day, and witnesses said around 100 houses could have been buried.The rescue mission will resume at 6 a.m. (2030 ET Saturday), Sudantha Ranasinghe, the military official heading the operation, said

Reuters April 16, 2017 01:30:07 IST
Sri Lanka rubbish dump landslide death toll rises to 19
| Reuters

Sri Lanka rubbish dump landslide death toll rises to 19
 Reuters

By Ranga Sirilal and Shihar Aneez
| COLOMBO

COLOMBO Emergency workers looking for survivors after a massive rubbish dump collapsed in Sri Lanka suspended their search on Saturday night, having already extracted 19 bodies from the rubble and mud.The 300-foot-high (90-metre) dump in the capital Colombo collapsed after flames engulfed it late on Friday, the nation's new year's day, and witnesses said around 100 houses could have been buried.The rescue mission will resume at 6 a.m. (2030 ET Saturday), Sudantha Ranasinghe, the military official heading the operation, said. "The main obstacle is we don't have a clear idea of how many people are buried as nobody is claiming that their relatives are missing, unlike on previous occasions," Ranasinghe told Reuters.

"We don't have any deadline and we will continue until we clear everything."The police said they were investigating whether the landslide was natural or man-made. They also said about 145 houses had been damaged.

"We heard a massive sound. It was like thunder. Tiles in our house got cracked. Black water started coming in," said one survivor who gave his name as Kularathna."We tried to get out but we were trapped inside. We shouted for help and were rescued later."

Another resident, Mohamed, said three of his neighbors were missing and estimated that more than 100 people could have been buried.Residents of the area, mostly living in shanties, had been demanding the removal of the dump, saying it was causing health problems. The government had said it would remove it soon under an infrastructure plan. (Writing by Shihar Aneez; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

Greek police clash with protesters in rally against mandatory vaccinations
World

Greek police clash with protesters in rally against mandatory vaccinations

ATHENS (Reuters) - Greek police used teargas and water cannon to disperse people who had gathered in central Athens on Saturday to protest against mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations. More than 4,000 people rallied outside the Greek parliament for a third time this month to oppose mandatory inoculations for some workers, such as healthcare and nursing staff.

Two Turkish soldiers killed in attack in northern Syria
World

Two Turkish soldiers killed in attack in northern Syria

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Two Turkish soldiers were killed and two were wounded in an attack on their armoured vehicle in northern Syria, and Turkish forces immediately launched retaliatory fire, Turkey's defence ministry said on Saturday. "Our punitive fire against terrorist positions is continuing," the statement on Twitter on said. It did not specify where the attack occurred, but media reports said it was in the al-Bab area.

Brazilians take to streets again to demand Bolsonaro's impeachment
World

Brazilians take to streets again to demand Bolsonaro's impeachment

By Marcelo Rochabrun SAO PAULO (Reuters) - Protesters took to the streets in several Brazilian cities on Saturday to demand the impeachment of far-right President Jair Bolsonaro, whose popularity has fallen in recent weeks amid corruption scandals against the backdrop of the pandemic. This week, news broke that Brazil's defense ministry told congressional leadership that next year's elections would not take place without amending the country's electronic voting system to include a paper trail of each vote. Bolsonaro has suggested several times without evidence that the current system is prone to fraud, allegations that Brazil's government has denied