Sri Lanka bomb blasts: Mortal remains of nine Indians sent back to Bengaluru, Hyderabad; 60 people arrested in connection with attacks

The mortal remains of nine out of 10 Indians killed in the massive Easter Sunday bombings in Sri Lanka have been sent to India

Press Trust of India April 24, 2019 16:35:45 IST
Sri Lanka bomb blasts: Mortal remains of nine Indians sent back to Bengaluru, Hyderabad; 60 people arrested in connection with attacks
  • The mortal remains of nine Indians killed in the Sri Lanka bombings have been sent to India

  • 10 Indians have lost their lives in Sri Lanka's worst terror attack that killed at least 359 people

  • Four separate planes carrying the mortal remains of the nine Indians landed in Bengaluru and Hyderabad

Colombo: The mortal remains of nine out of 10 Indians killed in the massive Easter Sunday bombings in Sri Lanka have been sent to India, officials announced on Wednesday.

According to the authorities, 10 Indians have lost their lives in Sri Lanka's worst terror attack that killed at least 359 people.

India's High Commission here released the details of the repatriation of mortal remains of Indian victims in a series of tweets. The victims include SR Nagaraj, H Shivakumar, KG Hanumantraiyappa, KM Lakshminarayana, M Rangappa, V Tulasi Ram, A Maregowda, H Puttaraju and R Lakshman Gowda, according to the Indian mission.

Sri Lanka bomb blasts Mortal remains of nine Indians sent back to Bengaluru Hyderabad 60 people arrested in connection with attacks

Shoes of victims are kept as evidence as security personnel inspect the interior of St Sebastian's Church in Negombo. AFP

Four separate planes carrying the mortal remains of the nine Indians landed in Bengaluru and Hyderabad.

So far 60 people have been arrested in connection with the attacks, police spokesman Ruwan Guansekera said, adding that more than 500 people have been injured in the bombings.

Police said that as many as 34 foreign nationals who lost their lives have been identified. Of them, 10 are from India, three from Denmark, one each from Japan, the Netherlands, Portugal, Bangladesh, Spain, two each from China, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, six from the UK, two holding the US and the UK nationalities and two holding Australian and Sri Lankan nationalities, officials said.

Additionally, 14 foreign nationals are unaccounted for and could be among the unidentified victims at the Colombo Judicial Medical Officer's mortuary, police said. Sixteen foreigners injured in the attacks are receiving treatment at the Colombo National Hospital and private hospitals in Colombo.

The Islamic State terror group has claimed responsibility for the devastating Easter blasts in Sri Lanka and identified the suicide bombers who were involved in the attacks. Seven suicide bombers carried out a series of devastating blasts that tore through churches and luxury hotels in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Tom Moody says India 'sabotaged' World Cup 2019 campaign by creating uncertainty amongst playing group
First Cricket News

Tom Moody says India 'sabotaged' World Cup 2019 campaign by creating uncertainty amongst playing group

Moody, who was the coach of IPL side Sunrisers Hyderabad till last season, said India were strong contenders for the trophy but the team management failed to make right use of the talent.

Bengaluru man dies after 18 hospitals deny admission, state govt sends show-cause notice
India

Bengaluru man dies after 18 hospitals deny admission, state govt sends show-cause notice

Commissioner of Health and Family Welfare issues show-cause notice to hospitals under the Karnataka Private Medical Establishment (KPME) Act, 2007.

'I'm unable to breathe': In last message to father, COVID-19 patient at Hyderabad's govt hospital claims oxygen supply was discontinued
India

'I'm unable to breathe': In last message to father, COVID-19 patient at Hyderabad's govt hospital claims oxygen supply was discontinued

In a video message to his father hours before his death, a patient alleged that he was not being administered oxygen while being treated at Hyderabad's Government Chest Hospital, where he was admitted after exhibiting COVID-19 symtpoms