Sri Lanka allows use of its airspace for MH370 search operation
Sri Lanka on Tuesday allowed flights from Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand and the US to use its air space for search operations to trace the missing Malaysian passenger aircraft.
Colombo: Sri Lanka on Tuesday allowed flights from Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand and the US to use its air space for search operations to trace the missing Malaysian passenger aircraft.
The External Affairs Ministry said that a request had been made for Lanka's air space to be used during the search and rescue operations for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 which suddenly disappeared with 239 people on board on 8 March.
It said the request has been granted for aircraft from Malaysia, US, Australia and New Zealand in the on going search and rescue operations.
Lankan Mission in Malaysia had asked the Malaysian authorities if any direct assistance was required in the search and rescue operations but so far such assistance has not been sought, the ministry said.
The mystery of the missing plane from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing continued to baffle aviation and security authorities who have not succeeded in tracking the aircraft despite deploying hi-tech radar and other gadgets.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Keith Krach, undersecretary of state for economic growth, energy and the environment, is visiting to attend a memorial service for late president Lee Teng-hui on Saturday
Coronavirus Updates: Delhi sees 43% rise in number of COVID-19 patients under home isolation in August
Coronavirus Updates: As of 1 September, of the total 15,870 active cases in the National Capital, more than half (8,119) were under home quarantine, data from the government showed.
Amid rising tensions with Beijing, US ambassador to China Terry Branstad set to step down next month
The 73-year-old, appointed by Donald Trump in 2017, confirmed his decision in a phone call with the president last week