Spanish regions toughen COVID-19 response, Madrid blames UK strain

MADRID (Reuters) - The Spanish regions of Galicia, La Rioja and Cantabria became the latest to tighten coronavirus restrictions on Wednesday amid a spiralling national infection rate that government officials have blamed on lax adherence to the rules over Christmas. Madrid's health chief Enrique Ruiz Escudero said he suspected the highly contagious variant of the virus first identified in Britain was partly to blame for the surge, accusing the government of 'minimising' the issue

Reuters January 14, 2021 00:13:21 IST
Spanish regions toughen COVID-19 response, Madrid blames UK strain

Spanish regions toughen COVID19 response Madrid blames UK strain

MADRID (Reuters) - The Spanish regions of Galicia, La Rioja and Cantabria became the latest to tighten coronavirus restrictions on Wednesday amid a spiralling national infection rate that government officials have blamed on lax adherence to the rules over Christmas.

Madrid's health chief Enrique Ruiz Escudero said he suspected the highly contagious variant of the virus first identified in Britain was partly to blame for the surge, accusing the government of "minimising" the issue.

"Clearly it has played a role in the increase in infection," he told Onda Cero Radio, saying hundreds of suspected cases of the new variant were under investigation in his region.

Spain has confirmed 70 cases of the British strain, and the health ministry has played down its role.

After nationwide contagion ebbed in November, overall infections skyrocketed through December and into early January, doubling the incidence of the virus - as measured over the past 14 days - in just three weeks, to 454 cases per 100,000 people.

Spain's cumulative total of infections stands at 2.14 million cases, while the death toll has hit 52,683.

The National Statistics Institute said over 80,000 more deaths had been recorded since the start of the pandemic than in a normal year, suggesting the true death toll could be much higher.

Unlike neighbouring Portugal, which is preparing to impose a new lockdown this week following similar moves in other European countries, Spanish authorities have said a return to home confinement is not necessary.

Instead, regions have been ramping up a mixture of curfews, caps on gatherings and restrictions on business opening hours.

Northwestern Galicia, which reported a record 1,047 new cases on Wednesday, banned all non-essential travel in the seven largest cities, told bars and restaurants to close at 4 pm and brought forward a curfew to 10 pm.

Regional leader Alberto Nunez Feijoo linked the region's "worrying" transmission rate to high numbers visiting eateries and bars, expecting infections to peak in late January.

Wine-producing La Rioja ordered non-essential businesses to close at 5 pm and limited group meetings to four people, while shopping centres in Cantabria are banned from opening at weekends.

(Reporting by Nathan Allen, Emma Pinedo and Cristina Sanchez; Editing by Inti Landauro and Philippa Fletcher)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

also read

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources
| Reuters
World

France, Germany to agree to NATO role against Islamic State - sources | Reuters

By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States

China's Xi says navy should become world class
| Reuters
World

China's Xi says navy should become world class | Reuters

BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.