Spanish miners start risky tunnelling to reach missing boy
MADRID (Reuters) - The search for a two-year-old Spanish boy who fell into a narrow well on Jan.
MADRID (Reuters) - The search for a two-year-old Spanish boy who fell into a narrow well on Jan. 13 entered its riskiest phase on Thursday as miners went down a new 60-metre (197 ft) parallel shaft to start digging across to the well.
There have been no signs of life since the boy, Julen, fell into the borehole as his family walked through a private estate in Totalan in southern Spain. Rescuers found the well was blocked with earth, raising fears soil had collapsed onto the child.
"Members of the Mines Rescue Brigade sent from Asturias (region) have just accessed the vertical well to start excavation ... in the search for Julen," said regional government representative Alfonso Celis at the site.
Miners working in rotating shifts will dig a 4-metre passage with picks and pneumatic hammers from the bottom of the shaft towards the borehole, which is 100 metres (300 feet) deep and just 25 cm wide.
Children and families have been holding candlelight vigils across Spain in support of the missing boy and of the massive rescue operation, even as hopes of finding him alive have faded with each passing day.
Engineers and miners have worked for 10 days in a row but have run into various technical problems while drilling a shaft parallel to the well.
"No miner is left in a mine, and Julen is now considered a miner," Juan Lopez Escobar, one of the engineers in charge of the rescue operation, was quoted as saying by EFE news agency. "Whatever may have happened, a miner is always pulled out."
He told reporters earlier that digging the horizontal passage would be the most dangerous part of the effort.
El Pais reported that Julen's parents suffered another tragedy in 2017 when their three-year-old son died suddenly after suffering a cardiac arrest while walking along a beach.
(Reporting by Miguel Pereira and Andrei Khalip; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.