South Korea wants to reopen communications with North Korea amid missile crisis
North Korea has made no secret of the fact that it is working to develop a nuclear-tipped missile capable of striking the US mainland.
South Korea said on Wednesday that it wanted to reopen communications with North Korea as new President Moon Jae-in seeks a two-track policy involving sanctions and dialogue with its reclusive neighbour to rein in its nuclear and missile programmes.
North Korea has made no secret of the fact that it is working to develop a nuclear-tipped missile capable of striking the US mainland and has ignored calls to rein in its nuclear and missile programmes, even from China, its lone major ally.
Its latest ballistic missile launch, in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions, was on Sunday which it said was a test of its capability to carry a "large-size heavy nuclear warhead", drawing Security Council condemnation.
"Our most basic stance is that communication lines between South and North Korea should open," Lee Duk-haeng, a spokesman for the South's Unification Ministry, told reporters. "The Unification Ministry has considered options on this internally but nothing has been decided yet."
Communications were severed by the North last year, Lee said, in the wake of new sanctions following North Korea's last nuclear test and Pyongyang's decision to shut down a joint industrial zone operated inside the North.
North Korea and the rich, democratic South are technically still at war because their 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty. The North defends its weapons programmes as necessary to counter US hostility.
Moon won an election last week campaigning on a more moderate approach to the North and said after taking office that he wants to pursue dialogue as well as pressure to stop the North's weapons programmes.
Moon's envoy to the United States, South Korean media mogul Hong Seok-hyun, left for Washington early on Wednesday. Hong said he would discuss North Korea with high-ranking officials in Washington.
Hong said South Korea had not yet received official word from the United States on whether Seoul should pay for an anti-missile US radar system that has been deployed outside Seoul.
US president Donald Trump has said he wants South Korea to pay for the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system which detected Sunday's launch.
China has strongly opposed THAAD, saying it can spy into its territory, and South Korean companies have been hit in China by a nationalist backlash over the deployment.
The United States said on Tuesday it believed it could persuade China to impose new UN sanctions on North Korea and warned that Washington would also target and "call out" countries supporting Pyongyang.
Speaking to reporters ahead of a closed-door UN Security Council meeting, US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley also made clear that Washington would only talk to North Korea once it halted its nuclear programme.
Trump has called for an immediate halt to North Korea's missile and nuclear tests and U.S. Disarmament Ambassador Robert Wood said on Tuesday that China's leverage was key and Beijing could do more.
Trump warned this month that a "major, major conflict" with North Korea was possible, and in a show of force, sent the Carl Vinson aircraft carrier strike group to Korean waters to conduct drills with South Korea and Japan.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
'Risk of further incitement': Twitter's full statement on why it permanently suspended Donald Trump's account
Twitter, while announcing its decision to permanently suspend Trump's account, cited plans circulating online for future armed protests around the inauguration of US President-elect Joe Biden
The amendment deals with situations in which the post of the president becomes vacant, or the president becomes incapable of discharging his or her duties
Twitter banned the US President's personal account, citing 'risk of further incitement of violence' following the insurrection at the US Capitol on Wednesday