Six killed in Burundi gun attack, weeks after similar incident
NAIROBI (Reuters) - Unidentified attackers shot and killed six people in northern Burundi, an official said on Friday, weeks after a similar attack was reported in a southern province. The group launched the attack in Kayanza province on Thursday night from the Kibira forest, the regional governor said, and fled to the same area after the attack.
NAIROBI (Reuters) - Unidentified attackers shot and killed six people in northern Burundi, an official said on Friday, weeks after a similar attack was reported in a southern province.
The group launched the attack in Kayanza province on Thursday night from the Kibira forest, the regional governor said, and fled to the same area after the attack.
"They arrived at a small centre ... killed six people including two kids studying in primary school II and V," Remy Cishahayo, army colonel and governor of Kayanza province, said on state-owned National Radio Television of Burundi.
The forest in the past has served as cover for the ruling CNDDFDD - The National Council for the Defence of Democracy, Forces for the Defence of Democracy party - during its rebellion.
Two people were wounded and were receiving treatment, while the attackers kidnapped one person, Cishahayo said.
The centre attacked on Thursday is near the forest.
"People should stay calm and united ensuring security together " Cishahayo said, adding the situation has returned to normalcy.
In late August, gunmen attacked the district of Bugarama in the southern province of Rumonge, where at least 16 people died in shooting with security forces.
Red Tabara, a rebel group fighting Burundi's government and based in the Democratic Republic of Congo, claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it killed police officers and the ruling party youth wing members, known as Imbonerakure.
The East African nation of 11 million people is one of the world’s poorest countries. It became an international pariah after then President Pierre Nkurunziza crushed protests triggered by his decision to run for a third term in 2015.
Evariste Ndayishimiye took over in June following the sudden death of his predecessor.
(Writing by George Obulutsa; Editing by Chris Reese)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Robin Emmott and John Irish | BRUSSELS/PARIS BRUSSELS/PARIS France and Germany will agree to a U.S. plan for NATO to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamic militants at a meeting with President Donald Trump on Thursday, but insist the move is purely symbolic, four senior European diplomats said.The decision to allow the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to join the coalition against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq follows weeks of pressure on the two allies, who are wary of NATO confronting Russia in Syria and of alienating Arab countries who see NATO as pushing a pro-Western agenda."NATO as an institution will join the coalition," said one senior diplomat involved in the discussions. "The question is whether this just a symbolic gesture to the United States
BEIJING Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for greater efforts to make the country's navy a world class one, strong in operations on, below and above the surface, as it steps up its ability to project power far from its shores.China's navy has taken an increasingly prominent role in recent months, with a rising star admiral taking command, its first aircraft carrier sailing around self-ruled Taiwan and a new aircraft carrier launched last month.With President Donald Trump promising a US shipbuilding spree and unnerving Beijing with his unpredictable approach on hot button issues including Taiwan and the South and East China Seas, China is pushing to narrow the gap with the U.S. Navy.Inspecting navy headquarters, Xi said the navy should "aim for the top ranks in the world", the Defence Ministry said in a statement about his visit."Building a strong and modern navy is an important mark of a top ranking global military," the ministry paraphrased Xi as saying.