Sierra Leone doctors treating COVID-19 patients to go on strike

By Cooper Inveen FREETOWN (Reuters) - Doctors treating coronavirus patients in Sierra Leone will go on strike within 24 hours after the government failed to pay promised allowances, their union said on Wednesday. The Sierra Leone Medical and Dental Association (SLMDA) said in a statement the strike would continue until the allowances are paid in full, without specifying how much the doctors are owed

Reuters July 02, 2020 00:12:18 IST
Sierra Leone doctors treating COVID-19 patients to go on strike

Sierra Leone doctors treating COVID19 patients to go on strike

By Cooper Inveen

FREETOWN (Reuters) - Doctors treating coronavirus patients in Sierra Leone will go on strike within 24 hours after the government failed to pay promised allowances, their union said on Wednesday.

The Sierra Leone Medical and Dental Association (SLMDA) said in a statement the strike would continue until the allowances are paid in full, without specifying how much the doctors are owed.

"That could be in five hours or five months. But we won't settle for anything less than the full backlog of weekly payments for the last three months," Samba Jalloh, SLMDA's secretary general, told Reuters.

Doctors treating patients for conditions other than COVID-19 will continue to show up to work, it said.

Government officials could not be reached for comment.

A spokesman for the Sierra Leone's coronavirus response team had previously told Reuters that the government was carrying out an audit of health workers to verify those that are directly involved in the COVID-19 response.

The union also complained that a memorandum of understanding between the government and doctors working in COVID-19 isolation and treatment centres expired on Tuesday and has not been renewed.

"They've continuously said that these payments would come once they verified our ranks, but no progress was ever made. But we never breached our part of the contract, despite few PPEs (personal protective equipment), medicine shortages and other issues," Jalloh said.

Sierra Leone has recorded 1,462 cases of the virus, including 60 deaths, far fewer than many other West African countries despite its fragile health infrastructure.

The association said two doctors have died of COVID-19 related causes since the outbreak, while more than 100 health workers have also been infected.

Health workers in Sierra Leone went on strike several times during the 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak, which killed nearly 4,000 people in the country including around 250 medical workers.

(Writing by Aaron Ross and Bate Felix,; Editing by Angus MacSwan and Lisa Shumaker)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

TAGS:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Israeli army says one of its drones crashed inside Lebanon
World

Israeli army says one of its drones crashed inside Lebanon

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - An Israeli drone crashed inside Lebanon during operational activity along the border, an Israeli military spokeswoman said.

Putin, Zelenskiy discuss conflict in eastern Ukraine on eve of ceasefire
World

Putin, Zelenskiy discuss conflict in eastern Ukraine on eve of ceasefire

MOSCOW/KYIV (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelenskiy discussed the conflict in eastern Ukraine and both expressed support for a ceasefire that starts on July 27, their offices said on Sunday. Ukrainian, Russian and OSCE negotiators agreed on a full ceasefire between government forces and pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine from late July, putting on hold the military conflict that claimed more than 13,000 lives since 2014. "The leaders agreed on the need for an urgent implementation of extra measures to support the ceasefire regime in Donbass," Zelenskiy's office said, referring to eastern Ukraine

Brazil's Bolsonaro asks top court to unblock supporters' profiles amid fake news probe
World

Brazil's Bolsonaro asks top court to unblock supporters' profiles amid fake news probe

By Lisandra Paraguassu BRASILIA (Reuters) - Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has challenged a Supreme Court order that blocked several of his supporters' profiles on social networks amid an ongoing fake news investigation, the right-wing president said using his own social media accounts on Saturday evening.